Chapter 8

Gi-Kyong carries the bucket back for me and I don't look at him when I enter the house

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Gi-Kyong carries the bucket back for me and I don't look at him when I enter the house. Mrs. Ho eyes me with concern but remains quiet. Dinner is a silent affair this evening.

We go to bed early, I make sure I know exactly where to find a water bottle and some food to take with me and hide my face under the blanket. It's a good thing I always wake up in the early morning hours and step outside to use the outhouse. Even if Gi-Kyong would wake up, he would think nothing of it and fall back asleep.

He doesn't stir when I softly fold back the blanket and get up. Nothing moves when I take the bag from a hook on the wall and fill it with the corked water bottle. My eyes roam over his sleeping figure one last time, before I step over the threshold. Outside, on the porch, I open a few jars of clay and take out some food, then I step down onto the cold earth. I ignore the sandals and tiptoe to the shed, where I slip into my boots.

Before I walk out of the gate, I turn around and look at the house one last time. Softly I whisper: "Goodbye", then I walk away.

I'm walking east, to where the sun is going to rise in a few hours. My legs are cold and I stop to roll down my pants beneath my skirts. I'm sure my toes will warm up after walking a few miles.

When I reach the river I recognize from the previous time we walked this path, I stop to drink and refill the bottle. Soft pinkish rays peak through the trees before me and I allow myself a moment to regain my strength. I take a few bites of the grain I brought and force myself to continue. Walking and chewing I follow the riverbank further and further away from the place where I left my heart.

It's going to be a beautiful day, I detest it. Rain would be bad, but right now it seems like the sun is mocking me. 'Look what you're leaving behind!' it seems to say, 'are you sure you want to throw all this away? And for what?'

I push the thoughts to the back of my brain. It's not like I have a choice. I don't belong here, I should never have been here.

A shiver runs through me when I think back to the previous evening by the stream. After Gi-Kyong kissed me, he wiped the tears from my eyes and smiled. I still don't understand why, he hadn't spoken to me since. The first time I met him, I thought he was mean and cruel and totally insensitive to the feelings of others. Now I know better. He's a loyal friend, a good son and has a friendly soul deep down.

Before I begin to cry again, I lift my chin and sniff hard. It's no use admitting to myself or anyone how much I've fallen for him. I will never see him again.

Somehow, miraculously, I find the spot where I fell down and hurt my ankle. There I eat the last of the food I stole and refill the bottle for the last time. It's only a short walk now and I'm confident I will find the dot, because I have at least six hours to find it.

When I arrive at the place where I almost lost my live, I divide the area in sections and carefully begin to scour the ground. An hour passes, then two and I'm beginning to lose hope when all of a sudden an arrow burrows itself in the tree next to my head.