Chapter 25

Grayson's POV

From that day on, Makenna rode with me to school. We saw Ashlynn, but Makenna said she was always strangely nice to her. Even asking about the baby and when she was due.

I didn't want Makenna talking to her at all, but that would make us look like the hostile ones. I knew Ashlynn was up to something but I just couldn't figure out what.

Meanwhile, my relationship with Makenna was getting better. My heart raced anytime she was near. My wolf wanted to just preen in front of her for her approval. When she smiled at me I felt like the luckiest man in the world. I didn't deserve a second chance, but I'd be forever grateful that she gave me one.

We were at my house now and I watched as she came around the corner from the bathroom.

"What?" she said, smiling. I'm pretty sure I was grinning like a fool.

I shook my head. "Nothing." She came to stand in front of me and I lifted her shirt. She smirked down at me and ran her fingers through my hair as I laid my head on her stomach.

"You're gonna make her a daddy's girl before she even comes out," she commented.

"I'm gonna spoil her rotten," I said. I heard the baby's heart rate pick up and felt her move around. I gasped.

"She likes your voice," Makenna whispered.

"Really?" I said. My question was answered when she gave a little kick. "That's incredible. Is it uncomfortable?" I asked looking up at Makenna.

"It's getting to be." She climbed on the bed beside me and lied down. Grabbing one of the pillows, she hugged it to herself and snuggled in.

"Is there room for me?" I asked. She opened one eye, smiled, then patted the space behind her. I happily climbed behind her, molding my body to hers.

"Grayson?" she asked after a minute of silence.

"Hm?"

"What are we gonna do?" Her voice held a thread of fear. I tightened my arms around her.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean what are we gonna do? Everything seems fine now, but we're not ready for a baby."

I turned her around to face me and stroked her cheek.

"Where is this coming from?"

"It's always been there. I just.. Every now and then, I get scared when I think about her actually being here. Being able to hold her and touch her and see her, really."

Her words made something stir in me.

"I can't think of-" My voice was rough. I cleared my throat and tried again. "I can't think of anything I want more than that." I splayed my hand on across her round belly. "I can't wait until our daughter is born. I hope she has your beautiful green eyes and spitfire attitude."

She smiled at me then kissed my lips softly. I moaned. She was just too sweet.

"We'll be okay," I mummered.

"Of course we will; we've got you. You're going to be an amazing father."

"Hopefully a better father than I was a mate."

"Hey." She grabbed my face and held it firmly. "That's the past. This is now. That's over."

"I'll be forever grateful that you forgave me. I don't deserve it." I turned my face and kissed her palm.

I looked up and her eyes were wide.

"What's wrong?" She shook her head. "Are you sure?"

She nodded and turned back around. "Just tired," she mumbled. I wasn't convinced but I let it go.