Chapter 1

"Really? That's great!" Mom said while on the phone. "We can catch up when you get here. I haven't seen you in so long." She paused. "Okay. See you soon. Bye."

She turned to Dad. "My friend from my old pack is moving down the street. Apparently their alpha bought land to have more room because the pack is finally growing after so many of the females finding their mates in other packs."

"That's good," Dad said.

"And, Grayson, they have a daughter. She is beautiful."

"Mom," I said around a mouth full of cereal. "I have a girlfriend."

She sighed. "Yeah. A girlfriend, not a mate."

"I'm 18. I don't need a mate right now."

She looked at me sympathetically. "One always needs their mate."

*

*

"Hey, babe," Ashlynn said as I got out of my car. I watched her long legs walk up to me. Talk about a beautiful girl. Ashlynn had shoulder length blonde hair and blue eyes. She was all legs and all mine. Cupping my cheek, she leaned in and kissed me. I grabbed her waist and pulled her closer to me.

"Hi," I said breathlessly as I pulled away.

"I missed you."

"A whole two days," I said mockingly. She laughed as we walked into the building.

"I hope this semester goes by quickly," she said. "I can't wait to be in college with you."

"Me too." I kissed her again. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said.

The school day went by fast and before I knew it I was on my way home. Driving down my street, I saw a moving truck at the house that had just been rented out. I saw a girl with waist length curly brown hair. She began to pull it up and I realized I'd slowed down when she turned to stare curiously at me. I blushed, waived a little, then sped down the street.

There was a feeling in my chest that I couldn't rub away. As I layed on my bed and closed my eyes, I saw bright green eyes and-- wait. Green eyes? Ashlynn had blue eyes... But she had green eyes, beautiful green eyes....

Stop, Grayson. You love Ashlynn, I thought to myself. But I no longer felt the rush of excitement that I used to when I thought that.

Fuck.