Chapter 12

^ pic of Grayson

Makenna's POV

The next day at school, Grayson was really nice to me. He didn't try to avoid me at all. Maybe because she wasn't here.

"Are you going to the party tonight?" Jade asked, snapping me out of my reverie of last night.

"A party?"

"Yeah, at Timmy's."

"I..don't know who Timmy is."

"It's okay, he said everyone I invite is invited."

Sounds like Timmy has a crush.

~~~

Jade tried to get me to where a short skirt and heels and crap. But I had to remind her that it was winter.

Instead I threw on some high-waist jeans that hug my curves, jeans that I knew would drive Grayson crazy. My shirt stopped just above my navel, allowing my piercing to show. For shoes, I picked black boots with a heel on them. Next, I went through the extremely tedious and hot process of straightening my hair and until it was perfect.

Jade showed up right on time.

"Dude, I just finished hair."

"I know. My grandmother is the pack doctor, or witchdoctor as I call her, told me." She wiggled her brows.

"Creepy."

We drove my car because I wasn't drinking. Besides the fact I never really drunk, something else was telling me not to. The party was in full swing when we showed up. Walking in, I was immediately engulfed in heat. There goes my hair, I thought.  Thirty minutes later, Jade was nursing a beer and I was on my second soda, I smelt the most wonderful scent.

I looked up as Grayson walked in. He was wearing dark jeans that hung on his hips and a t-shirt that showed off his muscles. He spotted me across the room and smiled at me. I smiled and started to walk over to him when one of his friends pulled him away. Later, I decided.

Jade and I danced a little and fended off the guys who tried to dance with us. I turned and saw Grayson. Smiling mischievously, I walked over and pulled him out to dance with me. And we were fine. For a few minutes.

His hands gripped my hips and held me against him. I had one arm thrown back around his neck, holding his head to my neck. Then, of course, we were interrupted. Someone cleared their throat loudly. Ashlynn.

"Grayson, what are you doing?"

"Dancing with his mate," I said before he could answer.

"Grayson," she said. He looked back and forth between the two of us.

"I'm sorry," he said to me.

I shook my head. "Grayson, no. Please don't do this. Not after what we shared last night. Please."

"Makenna, you know I can't be the mate you need. There's gonna always be that fear-"

"Grayson, no! That won't happen to us. I'm not sick. We're right here, together. Nothing will happen to me, or you." By this time, we had almost everyone's attention.

He shook his head slowly. "I'm sorry."

"Then why sleep with me?" I yelled. "Why give me false hope, when it was always gonna be her?" Ashlynn gave me a look of almost sympathy, then changed it to indifference. "I don't know how much longer I can do this,-"

"Then don't," Ashlynn said. "He's told you repeatedly that he doesn't want you."

I ignored her. "Grayson. Look me in my eyes, and tell me right now that you don't want me. Tell me, after everything from last night, that you don't want me. Tell me that, and I'll make all of this stop." Tears were streaming down my face.

"I don't... want a mate," he uttered through his teeth. My breath caught in my throat.

"I hate you," I breathed. I didn't miss the hurt that flashed through his eyes.

Jade pulled me from the middle of the crowd and out of the door.

"Are you okay?"

I just stared at her. "Take me to you grandmother."

"O-okay." She was confused, but didn't argue. She said she called her grandmother the pack "withdoctor", so maybe she could help me.

She drove, for what seemed like forever. I had no concept of time anymore. My whole world stopped back at that party.

Finally, she pulled up to a big house that had a creepy feel to it. And old woman opened the door, before we even left the car.

"Hi, grandma," Jade said.

"Hi, sweety." She looked at me and grabbed my face. "Oh, honey. Everything's gonna be fine. Fate knows what she's doing."

"So can you help me?" I knew she knew what I was talking about.

She nodded. "I can. But are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Hello?" Jade said. "Help you do what?"

Her grandmother answered. "She wants me to break their bond."

~~~

"Now, are you positive?" Jade's grandmother, Rosie, asked. For the millionth time.

"Yes. I can't keep doing this. Being his... mistress, his side chick. My heart can't take anymore."

"Okay," Rosie said. Then she closed her eyes and muttered something. When they opened, there was a yellowish glow around them. She grabbed my hand and quickly sliced a cut. "I'm assuming you don't have anything of Grayson's on you."

"No, sorry," I said.

"That's okay. Just have to do it the hard way." She closed her eyes and muttered something again. A crease formed between her eyebrows as if she were concentrating. Finally, she opened her eyes and spat in the bowl that had my blood in it. "There," she said.

"What now?" Jade asked.

"We wait. You can leave now if you wish."

"Okay. But... will I feel anything? I mean, what's gonna happen?"

"I'm not going to lie. It will be painful. Extremely painful. That, I can do nothing about. I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay." I stood. "Thank you for helping me."

She nodded her head once. "Goodnight, Makenna. Goodnight, Jade."

We both said goodnight and left. When we got to my house, Jade hugged me and told me everything would be alright before driving home.

In my room, I realized just what I had done. It was over between Grayson and me. Forever.

At midnight, I jerked out of my sleep. That's when the pain started.