Chapter 10

Grayson's POV

I'd been worried that Makenna wasn't coming to school after yesterday when I didn't see her in homeroom. Walking out of class, I saw her striding by, head held high. I had a feeling nothing could keep my mate down.

"Hey," I said, grabbing her arm, loving and hating the warmth that travelled up mine. "Where were you?"

"I skipped. I was late."

"Oh. I thought you weren't coming today."

"Because of what happened yesterday?" She scoffed. "If that were the case, I'd never be in school. It's not the first time you've chosen her over me."

"I was just...worried."

"Well, thanks. I'm gonna get to class before I'm late."

She walked off and I went to my class. Sitting down, I thought hard about my decision to not mate with Makenna. Maybe I should tell her why. That might help her understand and not be so hurt. With that thought, I decided I was going to tell her later at my house.

~~~

I sat on the couch, waiting anxiously for Makenna to come over. Breathe. It wasn't often that I talked about what happened, or even thought about it.

The doorbell rung and I jumped up. Breathe.

"Hi," she said, grinning that beautiful smile. I stopped just to stare at it. "So...can I come in. I mean, I love standing outside and all, but-"

"Come in, smartass," I growled playfully at her. Only she could bring humor even when she didn't know it was needed. She stepped inside and I took another deep breath.

"Are you okay?" she questioned as she sat down.

"Yeah, I... No. I'm not." I sighed. "I have to tell you something and it's hard to get out." My hands were trembling and she grabbed both of them in hers. Seeing how upset I was, she brought her body closer to mine, pushing up against it. I didn't even entertain the thought of pushing her away because I needed her too much.

"You don't have to tell me."

I shook my head. "I had a brother," I began. "We were really close, in age and growing up. Last year, he found his mate. He was so happy, we all were. But... they didn't mate right away. And that was unusual. He didn't question her though, because he trusted her." I took a deep breath. "She was sick, his mate. Of course, my brother didn't know because they hadn't mated. A week after they found each other, she took a turn for the worse. She had to finally tell him she was sick. That's why she never wanted to mate with him; she didn't want him to die. She died a few days later. Right as she was dying, he bit her, fusing their lifeline together. But it only halfway worked. I guess because she was halfway dead. He went insane those few days he was alive... before he died. I'd never seen someone so happy to die."

I didn't realize that Makenna had pushed me down until I had he wedged between the couch and myself, my arms around her. Hers around me.

"It's okay," she whispered. She kissed my chest and my chin. She kissed me everywhere.

"That's why I'm so scared to have a mate. I told myself that wouldn't happen to me."

"Shh," she said, kissing my lips. I gazed into her eyes as she combed her fingers through my hair. I needed her. I don't know why but I felt like if I didn't have her right then, I would explode.

"Makenna," I whispered. Her breath caught and I knew she was feeling what I was.

"Grayson," she purred. I brought her face to mine and rubbed my thumb across her bottom lip. They parted on a gasp. Her tongue flicked out to lick my finger. I growled and smashed our lips together.

This kissed was different, slower. I knew I said this wouldn't happen again, but this was my mate. I couldn't resist her. To be honest I don't even know why I tried.

Makenna moaned as I slipped my tongue in her mouth. She grabbed my face with both hands and opened her mouth wide, making room for our tongues to play. We moved around until she was straddling me. Her hand went under my shirt, feeling up my abs. Pulling back she grabbed the bottom of the shirt, pulling it up.

I grabbed her hips and stood up. We were not doing this on the couch. I went up the stair carefully, still kissing her. When I got to my room, I threw her on my bed. She gripped the comforter and writhed as if she could as if she could already feel me on her.

I grinned and slowly unbuttoned my jeans. She sat up on her elbows, watching the show. I didn't take off my boxers just yet, instead I climbed on the bed. She moved to straddle me and I slowly pulled her shirt off. Oh god, I thought as I saw her breasts.