Chapter 4

Makena's POV

After 15 minutes, I'd finally figured out how this school worked. Each building corresponded to the first number in the room number. I took a deep breath and opened the door to room 153.

My heart nearly beat out of my chest in excitement then just about stopped from sadness when I saw Grayson.

I don't want a mate.

Was he just confused? Overwhelmed? Maybe he didn't mean it. Who doesn't want a mate?

"Hi," the teacher said. "Are you....?"

"Makena Reed," I said.

"Right. Just take a seat anywhere and welcome."

I mumbled thank you and sat behind Grayson. He tensed when I walked behind him. This was just homeroom and conversations were happening all around us. I leaned forward slightly.

"Hey," I whispered. "Are you okay?" He ignored me and it stung. A lot. "Grayson."

"I'm fine," he said through gritted teeth.

"I just... I don't understand what happened back there."

He didn't say anything.

"Grayson, please-"

"Just leave me alone."

I sat back and bit my lip to keep from crying. He doesn't want me, I thought.

After home room, my next class was in building four. When I walked in the class was mostly full.

"You can sit here," a girl with black hair and blue eyes said. "You're new right?"

"Yes," I said, sitting beside her. After Grayson's warmth then sudden coldness, it was nice to see a friendly face.

"I'm Jade," the girl said. "And, yes, I know how ironic that is considering my eyes are blue."

I smiled. "I'm Makena." She nodded and returned my smile. Then a tall girl with shoulder length blonde hair walked in and sat on the other side of me. She noticed me and smiled.

"Hi," she said. "You're new?"

"Yeah, I'm Makena."

"I'm-" She stopped suddenly and frowned. Shaking her head a little, she said, "I'm sorry. I just-", and proceeded to lean towards me. She sniffed. Frowned, then sniffed me again. "You smell like-"

"Ashlynn," the teacher called. "Have a seat, please."

Ashlynn stated at me for a second, then sat down. Did she smell Grayson on me? Did she like him?

Throughout the period, Ashlynn snuck glances at me, making me paranoid.

Jade and I quickly became friends. As it turned out she was a wolf, too. Most everyone here was and if they were human, their family probably had some kind of alliance with one of the there packs in this city. I wrote down Jade's number and promised to text her. As the bell rang, I noticed Ashlynn looking at me again before I walked to my next class.

As I sat down, I realized that I could've asked Jade about Grayson. Then decided it was better that I hadn't. He doesn't want me anyway.