Real First Date

"...Matthew?"

I giggled nervously. "Hi Jessy."

The poor girl looked like she froze from surprise. It was honestly rather endearing.

"It felt like you didn't take that long." Jessy finally broke out of her stance and spoke. "I didn't even look at the chat. You sent a message in there when you got here, right?"

"I did. Thomas just dropped me off and reminded me about the cabin plan so I figured I help you pack." I winked at her teasingly.

She blessed me with another one of her smiles. "That's so sweet of you."

"But that can only happen if you so politely allow me in." I sassed at Jessy with a smirk. She giggled and welcomed me in.

Her house was actually pretty nice and comfy looking. If I hadn't lived at mine, I would be living in a house like this.

"Shame that you're leaving this comfy home for a cabin in the woods." I told Jessy. She chuckled nervously and made a hum in agreement.

We started packing up Jessy's stuff. Thankfully, she's not overloaded like most girls (I'm just kidding) so it didn't take long. When we were almost finished, I turned to her and joked. "Not exactly the most ideal real first date, huh?"

Jessy started laughing and hit me lightly. "Oh, shut up you big oaf."

"Is Jessica Hawkins getting flustered?"

She scoffed and crossed her arms. "I thought I told you not to call me that."

"You can try but you'll never keep me down, Jessica." I grinned further with smugness.

Jessy turned away from me and mumbled something under her breath.

"What was that?" I asked.

"You're lucky you're a cute big oaf." She still mumbled but it was more audible.

"Must be the blue eyes and/or dark fluffy hair. Thanks mom."

After our teasing back and forth was done, we got everything in the car and got inside.

"I call shotgun!" I shouted after getting into the passenger seat. Jessy got into the driver's seat and turned to me. "You're the only passenger, Matthew."

"Exactly. Calling shotgun and actually getting to ride shotgun is something I wanted my whole life."

She laughed some more while starting the car. "Oh Matthew, what am I gonna do with you?"

I hummed in thought. "Anything you want, I guess. I imagine your mind runs wild with boys." I teased her again.

Jessy started driving. "Joke's on you, can't tease me while driving."

"Fair enough."

The drive turned peaceful and silent for a while. I was looking out the window. For a creepy town, Duskwood had some pretty scenery. Aside from that, my gut was telling me something. I could feel like Jessy is sneaking glances my way, and worried glances at that so I turned around. She looked pretty normal for someone driving but she does seem a little down.

"Jessy? You got something on your mind?"

She took a second to respond with a "Huh?" that confirmed my doubts. "Oh, it's just that..."

"I'm sorry about Phil." I beat her to say it.

Jessy sighed and shook her head. "It's okay, Matthew. I'm just really worried about him. What could he possibly get arrested for?"

"I don't know either but it is pretty fishy. Here's hoping we can find out why that happened." I don't know Phil very well but something that distresses Jessy gets a big no-no from me. "It's good that you care about your brother."

Jessy nodded slowly, then looked apprehensive again. I looked at her, curious if she had something else to say.

"Speaking of siblings..." She started."I know you reassured us already in the chat but are you really sure you can be in the same room as Lilly, Matthew? I don't want either of you to fight anymore while we're in the middle of this mess."

I should've expected this question. "Yes Jessy, I'm sure. Like I said before, I'm not one for grudges. Trust me."

Jessy smiled a little and nodded. Good thing she trusts me.

"You reminded me that I didn't text Jake yet." I realized, pulling my phone.

Hacker boy

Hello Matthew. Have you been spending time with Dan?

God no. We might have more in common than I'd like to admit, that's all

Fair enough.
Are you in Duskwood yet?

Yes, precisely. I'm in the car with Jessy on the way to the cabin. Sorry I couldn't message you sooner. I got distracted.

That's alright, Matthew. As long as you get there and stay safe.

That's a promise. Once I settle in, I'll tell you when I'm ready to continue our work again.

Alright. Talk to you later, Matthew.

Later Jake