It's Time To Step In

I'm looking at my phone right now. That's all I've been doing for the last few days after I got caught up in a mess that maybe not all people can relate to.

I needed to talk to Jake. I've been thinking about this since last night and I'm sure that he's going to object but I know what I'm doing. I just have to convince him. Even if I do it behind his back, he'll find out sooner or later.

We need to talk

I sent the message. He only stays offline for five seconds before responding.

Hello Matthew.
What do you want to talk about?

Deep breaths, Matthew. Deep breaths. I've got this.

I'm going to Duskwood.

I kept staring at the bright screen as I awaited his response. He started typing immediately, out of urgency, I presumed. I don't blame him.

What?
Matthew, you and I both know you can't do that.

I know, Jake. But trust me when I say, after thinking about it long and hard, this is what I want. I can't bare to be away from them any longer

It's too risky. The kidnapper has it for you even more than all of your friends combined. Not to mention that you might be recognized by the townspeople after Lilly's video.

Ugh, I wish he hadn't reminded me of that. Maybe I'm still a little salty after, you know, nearly having my reputation and whole life ruined thanks to Lilly's false accusations but I think we can put that aside for now.

Lilly realized her mistake and apologized after you removed the video. Maybe I'll be more inclined to snark at her than the others but don't worry, I'm not one for grudges. The townspeople don't truly know who I am so I'll be fine if I keep my head down. As for your other concern, it is true. He wants me more than anyone else. But guess what? I want him too, and I know I can get to him if I'm not as restricted physically

Jake started typing again but then he erased it and stopped.

Please Jake.

...
You're really set on this, huh?

Yes.

Promise me you'll be safe. Keep your eyes and ears open for anything.

You know I will, Jake. Thank you.

I put my phone down and let out a sigh of relief. I'm going to Duskwood.

For real.

My phone rang again with the sound of a message.

Are you scared, Matthew?

I know that I can be honest with Jake. And quite frankly, I think that question is a no-brainer.

I am scared, of course. But I'm also determined to finish this once and for all.

I am, Jake. But don't you worry about me, I'm a big boy 😝

Hehe. I know. Good luck out there.
See you later, Matthew.

See you later, Jake 👋

That's the most important person out of the way, now I can tell the others. But I have to get ready for my trip first. I'll tell them on the way.

Next stop: Duskwood.