Hit Me with Your Best Shot

Start from the beginning

"Follow me," I shout over the music. We head to the table and have a seat. I take in my surroundings, amazed at everything that encompasses me: people taking shot after shot, people dancing together, and people making out with each other, not caring who sees.

"I'm gonna get a drink," announces Youngmi, putting her purse on the chair. "Anyone wanna join?"

"I'll come," I tell her.

The two of us go to the bar and order. Youngmi buys herself, Jaehwa, and Gyeongtaek a cocktail, and then gets a Coke for Sungmin. But when I give my debit card to the woman to pay for my Tequila Sunrise, Youngmi says something to her. The bartender hands my card back to me.

"First one's on me," she winks.

Even after all she's done for me, she still buys my drink. "Okay, but the rest of your drinks are on me tonight. It's the least I can do."

"Does that also mean you'll take a shot with me later?" she smiles hopefully.

I reciprocate her smile. "You got it."

I help Youngmi carry our drinks to the table. When we return, Gyeongtaek notices what we have and places his palm on his chest. "An Adios Motherfucker. You know me so well!"

"You just like whatever gets you drunk the fastest," Youngmi chuckles.

"That's true," he agrees, the straw already in his mouth.

Jaehwa plants a kiss on their wife's cheek as thanks before taking a huge swig of their Jack and Coke. They dig the pack of cigarettes out of their pocket, lighting up another. With the cigarette resting in between their lips, Jaehwa detects us staring at them. They get the hint, sliding the pack across the table to Sungmin. He lights Gyeongtaek's cigarette for him and then for himself. Living in Korea for so long now, I've realized that lighting a person's cigarette for them shows you care. Disregarding the fact that they're helping you inhale a cancer stick. But I don't care. I love when someone does it for me. It makes me feel all warm inside.

Sungmin slides the pack to our side of the table again. Youngmi and I light up too. Because most Korean clubs allow smoking inside, everyone chain-smokes. Which, in turn, causes me to chain-smoke. I should've bought a pack prior to coming here. I knew I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to smoke.

"Do you see BTS around?" I ask Jaehwa.

They flick their cigarette ash into the tray laid on the table. Jaehwa scans the club for a bit until they find the members. They gesture with a head nod. "Over there. In the corner."

I finally find them too and instantly lock eyes with Hoseok. He must've been looking for me too. Hoseok shoots a grin in my direction before whipping out his phone. My own dings with a message seconds after.

Hobi: You made it!

I did!

Hobi: I hope you have a good time! Wish we could be together tonight.

I do too. But we'll be going home to the same place, thankfully.

Hobi: That's all that matters to me.

💕

Hobi: Now, go dance. I want to watch you.

Butterflies begin to flutter in my stomach. I put my phone facedown and turn to my friends. "We should dance."

"You guys go ahead," says Sungmin. "I'll watch our stuff."