She wheeled around to face her son, eyes alight. "His...but... Ron, you're not...?" Ron held up his badge and his mother let out a shriek. "I don't believe it! I don't believe it! Oh, Ron, how wonderful! A prefect! That's everyone in the family!"

"What are Fred and I, next-door neighbors?" George asked indignantly, as his mother pushed him aside and flung her arms around her youngest son. Harry had the sense to pull Jane out of the mix, and they shared a smile as she pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"You alright?" She asked quietly, the arms around her waist pulling her further from the hubbub and swayed side to side. Harry nodded, but he couldn't quite meet her eyes. "You don't have to be, you know." She added in a whisper, but became more than aware of what was going on behind them as they turned their attention back to Mrs Weasley and her dithering.

"....Oh, what a thing to happen in the middle of all this worry, I'm just thrilled, oh Ronnie -" Mrs Weasley was talking faster than Jane believed possible, Fred and George both making loud retching noises behind her back. Molly didn't notice, her arms tight around Ron's neck and she was kissing him all over his face, which had turned a brighter scarlet than his badge. 

"Mum... don't.. Mum, get a grip..." Ron muttered, trying to push her away. Jane was just glad that someone was celebrating it how it should be... even if it was a little over the top.

 She let go of him and said breathlessly, "Well, what will it be? We gave Percy an owl, but you've already got one, of course." Her gaze flickered over to Pigwidgeon, who chirped to himself in a corner and flew himself in circles, bumping into the wall every so often.

"W-what do you mean?" 

"You've got to have a reward for this!" Mrs Weasley said fondly, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "How about a nice new set of dress robes?" 

"We've already bought him some." Fred interrupted sourly, wholooked as though he sincerely regretted this generosity. 

"Or a new cauldron, Charlie's old one's rusting through, or.. or a new rat, you always liked Scabbers-" There was a collective wince throughout the room; Ron might have liked Scabbers, but the idea of having a pet rat wasn't feasible anymore - there would always be the fear that someone had transfigured themselves into one now. "No rat?" Mrs Weasley blinked. "Okay.. okay."

"Mum." Ron looked hopeful, seemingly having had an idea. "Can I have a new broom?" Mrs Weasley's face fell slightly; broomsticks were expensive."Not a really good one!" Ron quickly added, wanting to reassure her. "Just - just a new one for a change..."

Mrs Weasley hesitated, then smiled. "Of course you can... Well, I'd better get going if I've got a broom to buy too. I'll see you all later... Little Ronnie, a prefect! And don't forget to pack your trunks... A prefect.... Oh, I'm all of a dither!"She gave Ron yet another kiss on the cheek, sniffed loudly, and bustled from the room. 

Fred and George exchanged looks. "You don't mind if we don't kiss you, do you, Ron?" Fred said in a falsely anxious voice. Jane hit his arm. "What? Ickle Ronnie the Prefect can't expect kisses from his brothers. All though we might not be, seeing as we aren't prefects."

"We could curtsy, if you like." George offered. 

"Oh, shut up," said Ron, scowling at them. 

"Or what?" Fred pushed, a grin spreading across his face. He seemed to have taken to it as a challenge, and Jane assumed that it wouldn't be the last time he tried it. "Going to put us in detention?"

 "I'd love to see him try." George scoffed. "He won't be able to, just wait and-"

"He could if you don't watch out!" Hermione interrupted angrily, at which Fred and George burst out laughing. She seemed to have change her stance on the entire thing.

 "Drop it, Hermione." Ron muttered, looking particularly embarrassed at that.

"We're going to have to watch our step, George." Fred was no pretending to tremble, thoroughly enjoying his audience. "With these two on our case..."

"Yeah, it looks like our law-breaking days are finally over." George faked wistfulness, shaking his head. With another loud crack, the twins had Disapparated. 

"Those two!" Hermione said furiously, staring up at the ceiling, through which they could now hear Fred and George roaring with laughter in the room upstairs. "Don't pay any attention to them, Ron, they're only jealous!"

Ron's eyes narrowed. "I don't think they are." He replied, knowing that she couldn't be more wrong from the laughter coming through. "They've always said only prats become prefects... Still," he added on a happier note, "they've never had new brooms! I wish I could go with Mum and choose... She'll never be able to afford a Nimbus, but there's the new Cleansweep out, that'd be great... Yeah, I think I'll go and tell her I like the Cleansweep, just so she knows..." 

He hurried out of the room, and Hermione took one glance at Jane and Harry as they sat on the end of his bed, before following him out too. 

a/n
is it bad i don't like
book hermione sometimes?
idk, sometimes she rubs me
the wrong way and this is
one of them