Chapter 52-I'll Be Back 🕒Wednesday, January 1st, 2019🕞

Start from the beginning

I sat down on the couch, waving them off and taking a deep breath. "Ok, ok, ok. Let's start over. Do you actually mean to tell me that you two have no idea who The Beatles are? That I didn't just spend the past three months with them?"

Victor sat down next to me and patted my hand. "Would you like us to tell you that you have, Wendy? That it's not all in your head?"

I huffed in frustration. "Oh, yes. Lie to me on my account. Since evidently I'm the mentally insane one here." A thought crossed my mind and I smiled in mirth. "Victor, how many were there in The Beatles?"

"Four."

"That's not fair...that's a universal boy band number."

"But-"

"Name them, Victor."

"Wendy-"

"Name. Them." I sat back into the couch, crossing my arms. "I'll wait."

"Perhaps we'd better wait for the doctor to arrive..."

"Victor, if you let that man set foot in this room, I'm suing you for a quarter of a million dollars!"

"On what grounds?"

"The grounds that I was drugged and lied to, which was a breach of contract!"

"Very well. As soon as the doctor arrives, he'll deem you mentally ill and unfit-"

"You nasty piece of garbage!" I jumped up from the couch, my fists clenched in fits of rage. "Fine! When I get back to my own universe, I'm suing you, you'll see! Just you wait! Just wait till I get my hands on mirror universe Spinetti!"

In the middle of my tirade, I hadn't realized that I had raised my voice several levels and nearly three octaves and Algernon had walked across the room to make a phone call and the next thing I knew, two men were walking in, reaching to put me in a straitjacket.

"Put her away." Spinetti said, cringing slightly. That was when I felt a shot being administered to my arm and I began to kick and scream.

"JUST YOU WAIT! YOU SCUMBAGS! I HATE YOU ALL! AT LEAST YOUR MIRROR UNIVERSE COUNTERPARTS WERE MORAL! FLINT WILL COME FOR ME! YOU PIECES OF-"

That's when everything went black.

~~~

The next thing I recall, was being in a sterile hospital room where a nurse was peering over me and everything...literally everything...was white. It looked very futuristic.

"Well, hello honey. Feeling better?" she asked, appearing to be reading my vitals.

I frowned. "I don't know if better would be the word for it. Where exactly am I now?"

A voice spoke up.

"In the year 2525."

Relief soared in my chest.

"FLINT!"

The man walked around to my side of the bed, smiling.

"Hello there, love. It seems there was a bit of a hiccup in time, yes?"

I rolled my eyes. "You can say that again! Boy, I sure am glad you arrived when you did! Did you see what those two buffoons tried to pull? I swear to God if they try anything like that for reals, I'll-"

"Yes, I saw. Don't worry, Wendy. You were correct in your assumption that was not your universe. I don't know how you did it but you've managed to somehow travel interdimensionally." He sighed. "However, unfortunately, it seems that this is going to be a little more difficult to fix than I had previously thought. You see, in ending up where you did, you managed to summon all of the Victors and all of the Algernons, thus creating a ripple effect of everyone who was trying to bring you back."

"I see."

"Yes...a most unfortunate situation." He turned around to face the other man who had just entered. "This is my associate, Dr. Carl Miller. He has been taking care of you in your current state. You were intensely drugged. We pulled you from a hospital in Chicago."

I turned to face the man. "Thank you for your kindness." The man smiled.

"Not at all, Wendy. Flint has told us a great deal about you."

"Us?"

Flint nodded. "Yes, the rest of the temporal agents. There are too many to name...and I believe that I may wrack your brain if I tried to do so. But, Dr. Miller works with me here along with these two who have just stepped in, agents 194 and 709."

I waved to a serious looking man in a grey suit standing next to a tall and extremely gorgeous woman with red hair, before plopping back down on the pillow and closing my eyes. I suddenly felt very dizzy and extremely fatigued.

"Swell. Would you mind if I slept now? I don't think that the drugs have worn off yet. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that I'm not dreaming right now..."

Flint laughed and patted my hand.

"Of course. But before you do...listen carefully...if you should wake up and you are not..."

It was no use. Those were the last words I heard before my mind became drowned out by other voices...and the noises of a hospital...and then, finally, the sounds of a train...