𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟖: 𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐚'𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

Start from the beginning

Vanessa raised her eyebrows without reply.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Matthew stood a little taller.

She stayed quiet but a grin showed up on her face as she stood to pack her things.

"No, seriously, what is it?"

As she walked across the room to the doorway where he was standing, the grin only became more obvious. "Bourne was right about you, Matty."

She walked away without him fully comprehending her sentence. He chased her through the hallway.

"What do you mean? You're saying you doubted me in the beginning? That I wasn't the right choice or something?"

Vanessa kept walking, she shrugged again. "Well, when you put it that way... yes!"

"I can't believe this," he shook his head as the memory of the day they met flooded his head.

She paused, quickly spinning on her heel to face him. "Yeah, so what? I know you didn't like me in the beginning either."

Matthew was lucky enough to halt before slamming into her. He didn't dare to make eye contact.

"That's different."

She scoffed. "How is that different?"

Matthew tried thinking of an excuse. "Because you were this stuck-up highly praised agent that everybody couldn't stop talking about. It only made sense for me to not like you."

Vanessa's jaw hung, she stammered to find words. "That's absolutely ridiculous! I am not praised."

Matthew's face dropped, his hands were put on his waist as a defensive pose. "Ask anybody in that office, I can guarantee that all of the other agents in there are jaundiced by you."

Vanessa mocked his pose. "Wha- I don't even know what 'jaundiced' means!"

She turned, her hair whipping into him. She walked with more furry down the hall, Matthew on her tail.

"It means envious! Resentful! Jealous!" Matthew called behind her.

She spun again, this time Matthew found humour in it. "You take that back," she poked a finger into his chest.

He chuckled. "Take what back?"

"What you said," Vanessa, on the other hand, did not see the humour in his comment.

"Well, am I wrong?"

"Yes!" She exclaimed, "everybody in that office knows that I-" she paused, practically huffing. Her hesitation caught them both off guard.

"You what?" Matthew grew curious.

Vanessa looked around, luckily there was nobody in the hallway to hear them. She tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear. Matthew grew conscious of the tiny distance between them. He wondered if he should take a step back.

She sighed, looking back up at him. "That I really couldn't have done this without you."

Matthew couldn't tell where she was going with this. "What?"

She crossed her arms, her shoulders slightly raising. "For years I have been trying to catch Warner, but never was able to, not until Bourne brought you in. And yeah, I admit, I was a little... awful in the beginning, but now look at what has happened? I mean, without you who knows what would have happened. It's because of you that we were able to find Warner, and save those kids and Giselle and Charlie."

Matthew didn't know what to say, he kept looking at her.

Her smile became shy. "Not to mention how this whole experience has changed the way I think now. That's because of you, y'know," without a second of hesitation, she stepped an inch closer, closing off the distance. Matthew didn't have time to respond when she cupped his chin in her hand and gave a small kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you," she whispered. He could feel his own cheeks start to warm at the embrace.

The moment was over before he had time to process what had just happened. He should have done something, or at least said something. But he was too stunned to do anything. 

She left him there, utterly speechless with only his thoughts.

What does is that even supposed to mean...

A/N

sorry to everybody that thinks this is cringe 

sometimes u need cringe okay like what were u actually expecting