- Lonely Christmas

Alone on a special day
————————————————————————

He sat on the long, comfortable couch made of mahogany wood and silk. The blazing fire of the fireplace reflected in his deep brown eyes.

His eyes shut and the tight grip on the hot cup of cocoa made him remember the sweet... No, it's not sweet anymore is it?

Bitter-sweet memories of Christmas

Every year, the house would have a different evergreen conifer tree. The tall tree would be accessorized with lights, garlands, tinsel, handmade ornaments, and a bright yellow star placed right at the top.

Walls were decorated with bright red streamers and wreaths while the fireplace would be covered in numerous stockings, one for each person.

The present opening would be filled with anticipation as each person ripped off the colorful paper the gifts were carefully wrapped in. It would always be something they wanted or would use.

The dinner was everyone's favorite, the tables always had cranberry jam, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, gravy, roasted vegetables, and lastly the centerpiece, a large stuffed turkey. Every single item was homemade and they always tasted amazing.

His heartbeat slowed down as his eyes threatened to drop tears as if he would crumble if he did so. He fought them like a battle, chuckling at the irony of the situation.

The sweet, yet now miserable tunes to his ears were playing like a chess game. If he made one wrong move, he would lose the fight.

The memories now flowed through like a flood. Not being able to stop them.

He knew he would never be able to spend the holiday with them ever again...

But, he still wished they would come back to celebrate what was once a joyous day with him.

The radiant flame burning the tall wooden logs may have been able to keep his body warm, but it couldn't warm his ever-so-cold heart.

He had finally been done with the memories. The grip on his cup loosened as his eyes opened, his eyes that were filled with sorrow and regret.

————————————————————————
345 words