Chapter 14: Prison life

Start from the beginning

Augustine: Well that could've gone better. Maybe we should have started with some easier exercises first?

Joe: Again!

Augustine: Pardon?

Joe: Let me try again.

Augustine: As you wish. Get back to the platform.

So I did just that.

Augustine: Whenever you're ready.

So I tried again, this time getting 12 targets before time ran out.

Augustine: So close yet so far.

Joe: Again!

So I tried again, only managing to shoot 8 this time.

Joe: Again!

This went on for a few more hours until I finally managed to shoot all the targets within 60 seconds. I let out a victorious yell.

Augustine: Good job Joe. Looks like that was all the time we had for the morning. Go back to your cell for lunch. Then I felt all of my powers drain as the cuffs activated again.

I went back to my unit and saw Eugene already sitting there, eating a chocolate bar. You can get chocolate here?

Joe: Hold up...where did you get that chocolate bar?

Eugene: Bought it from commissary.

Joe: Wait.....bought? You get paid here?

Eugene: We all do. We get a dollar per hour of training. 2 per hour of testing.

Before I could talk I heard a knock on the door and two trays were laying in the now open slot. I went over and saw some weird sludge. Eugene saw my reaction and chuckled before handing me a can of tuna.

Joe: Are you sure?

Eugene: Yeah, it's your first day here. I don't expect you to know all that stuff yet. I'll show you to commissary after dinner. You can pay me back then. You should also know that you start with 10 dollars so you can buy the essentials. Like toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant etcetera.

I grabbed the canned tuna and started digging in.

Joe: Thanks. Why is the food here shit anyways?

Eugene: Because nobody eats it. We only get good food on rare occasions like christmas or new years.

Joe: Doesn't that seem like a waste of food though?

Eugene: Could be, but the people that do eat the food probably spent all their money on commissary. Water is hella expensive there. So sometimes when people are broke they have no choice, but to eat this stuff.

Joe: Damn...well anyways looks like I owe you a can of tuna now.

Eugene: Come to think of it. You never told me what you're in for.

I sighed.

Joe: I killed my fathers murderer.

Eugene: That's it? I don't think they'd send you here for killing a killer.

Joe: Yeah, but turns out the bastard was powerless.

Eugene: There it is.

We kept talking for a while and to be honest...I kinda like the guy. He's a nerd and we spend most of our time talking about music and video games. The door was then opened and the same guards from before entered.

Officer1: Prisoner Jackson. Follow me to testing site alpha.

Great so I'm gonna be a labrat or something...how nice. I followed him through a dark corridor before entering what seems like an operating room. Augustine was standing there along with multiple doctors.