Chapter 1

"Come oooonn, Featherkit... Moonrunner won't let me go outside without you, but I wanna es'plore," a small white tom kit complained, kneading his sister impatiently with his light grey paws.

"But,..." Featherkit started, but she was interrupted as her mother leaned over and softly groomed between the small kit's ears.

"Go on. It's a nice day out. I'll come with you if you want so we can explore as a family," purred Moonrunner, nudging her tiny kit with her muzzle.

Featherkit sighed and reluctantly nodded, looking at the nursery entrance and slowly standing up, nervous to leave the comfortable den, but unable to deny her curiosity as to what lies beyond the branches of the nursery entrance. She shakes her fur out as Snowkit excitedly bounces out of their feathered nest.

"We get to go outside! I can't wait," he crowed excitedly, practically bouncing off the walls in anticipation.

Moonrunner stood up and nosed Featherkit gently out of the nest after her brother. "The Clan will be happy to see you both. It'll be good for all of us to get out into the sun for a little bit. It's been a while," she mewed softly.

Featherkit remembered how Meadowstream told them how hard their kitting had been. Moonrunner had kitted a total of four kits, including she and Snowkit, but the other two didn't survive, the firstborn son joining their ancestors in StarClan immediately after birth and her only sister joining their ranks two moonrises later.

"They will be delighted to see you all," Meadowstream murmured from her nest. Featherkit looked over at her nest, the quick movement knocking her off her paws and looking up in time to see a dark silhouette walking over to Moonrunner. "Don't do too much and stay in the clearing for now. You likely don't have your energy or strength back yet," the black she-cat warned softly.

Moonrunner licked her friend's ear gently. "Thank you, but I'll be alright. It's been almost a full moon since they were kitted. We are all much stronger now." Before Meadowstream could respond, the light grey queen leaned down to nudge Featherkit back to her paws.

Featherkit blinks and looks between the two queens, concerned that there is something they aren't telling her, but she eventually just shrugs and looks away. She stands and stretches her tiny legs out in the cramped space before following her brother.

"Come on, come on, come onnn," whined Snowkit, pacing at the entrance.

"You have no patience," Featherkit teased, trotting to his side and lightly swatting his ear.

Moonrunner shook her head, purring in amusement, interrupting their play fight with a gentle reminder as Snowkit turns and lifts a paw to swat his sister. "Are we ready to go out?"

Before Featherkit can say anything, Snowkit hops away and runs out of the small entrance, instantly forgetting what he was doing and squealing with excitement. The smaller she-kit jumps in place slightly, feeding off of his energy, and bounds after him, stumbling slightly, but soon emerging into the camp clearing.

Featherkit mewls in surprise as she trips and stumbles to the ground beside her brother who had stopped immediately outside the entrance, his eyes open wide in amazement at the busy camp around them.

"I'm here," Moonrunner murmured in her ear, having instantly responded to the tiny kit's cry and is now kneeling beside her. "It's alright, I'm here for you. Did you hurt yourself?"

Featherkit stood up quickly, shaking her fur out as she replied, "I'm fine. Just didn't expect him to stop." She leans down to lick her chest fur, slightly embarrassed at the whole ordeal.