Upstanding Servant

Disclaimer: I do not own Merlin.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
   After arriving at the room Arthur left Merlin to serve Aria. Aria went inside while Merlin gave Arthur a list of the rest of his tasks for
the day, then walked inside the room. Aria had set down her bags (she had insisted that she carry them instead of Merlin) and was lying on the bed.

   She sat up and said, "Goodness, I'm filthy from my journey. Merlin, could you bring me a wash cloth and some clean water?" "Of course your highness" he said as he quickly left the room. He came back with the items and saw that Aria was looking through her wardrobe which had been filled with new dresses from the King.
"Your Highness, I can do that for you. Here are the items you requested." said Merlin as he came in, but before he could say anything else, he tripped over the Princess's bag and face-planted, spilling the bucket of water all over her.

   Aria looked at him surprised. Merlin was mortified as he tried to clean the water up off of the floor, apologizing profusely. Aria gazed at the boy then got a wicked grin as she said, "Stop! How dare you treat the Princess of Camelot this way!" She glared at the boy with her arms crossed. Merlin froze. Well I've done it now, I'll be in the stocks for sure. Maybe Uther will behead me. I'm done. He thought. Aria paused, then started laughing. Merlin looked up in confusion.

"Ahahaha oh oh my hahahaha, I'm sorry I just pfft..."

"Your highness?"

"Don't look so worried Merlin, I was only joking" she said wiping a tear from her eye. "I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Please stand up, it's alright. A little water never hurt anyone."

Merlin stood and huffed an incredulous laugh.

"I'm sorry for messing with you Merlin, truly, but you should've seen the look on your face." She laughed again. Merlin laughed as well, it was hard not to when you could hear the princess's infectious laugh. He began to relax after the adrenaline rush from that scare.

"No I deserved it for spilling water all over you, I'll get some fresh cloths to dry this up."

   Merlin was soon back with the cloths and Aria dried off and changed into a simple blue dress behind her folding screen. Merlin began collecting the wet cloths and apologized again. "I really am sorry Your Highness."

"Nonsense it was my fault for leaving my bags in the way. And please there's no need to be so formal."

"Would you prefer Princess?"

"Just Aria is fine."

"Arthur would have my head if I was so casual towards the Princess of Camelot."

"Well then he doesn't have to know. In court you may address me as Princess, but for now Aria will do."

"Very well Aria. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"You can answer a question for me. I heard you were staying with Gaius as his ward while in Camelot. You seem to be fairly capable so I have no doubt Gaius could have used you to deliver potions and study under him."

"You may give me too much credit."

"Perhaps, but still. It makes me wonder. How did you end up as a servant to Arthur? I mean no offense to you, but you don't seem like a very practical choice. Nor do you seem very fond of the job."

"Well it can be demanding at times. To answer your question, when I first arrived in Camelot there was this hanging of a young man, for practicing magic. His mother swore revenge and infiltrated the castle. To make a long story short, she shot an arrow at Arthur, I pushed him out of the way and as a reward for my heroics, King Uther gave me the honor of serving his royal highness. Everyday." Merlin finished the last part with little enthusiasm.

"I can't believe my father is still doing such atrocious things. Hanged publicly for simply being different. Surely not all magic can be evil. He needs to open his mind." Aria complained then leaned on the window sill.

Merlin was surprised by this reaction and took the new information in slowly. His silence made Aria realize her mistake as she quickly tried to rectify it. "N-not that I would ever question the King's judgement, it's just- please tell no one of my opinion towards magic! My father would give me an earful, he may lock me in my chambers or force me to attend an execution just to prove his point." This outburst snapped Merlin from his stupor as he nodded. "I promise to tell no one of what you said."

"And you don't think me naïve for this opinion?" Aria asked cautiously.

"Not at all." Merlin replied. "I was simply intrigued by your statement."

Aria smiled, relieved, and began combing through her hair with her fingers. Not long after, she gave Merlin the rest of the day off, claiming there was no need to keep him waiting on her for so long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Merlin made his way back to Gaius's chambers with a skip in his step and a grin on his face. "What are you doing back so early? Arthur finally get rid of you?" joked Gaius. "Nope." Gaius watched as Merlin jauntily sat on a chair by the window. "Don't tell me he's finally given you a day off." Merlin laughed, "Don't be ridiculous, his sister did."

"The Princess is here already? She wasn't supposed to arrive until Thursday."

"She arrived early as a surprise." He sighed and looked out the small window. "Arthur assigned me as her temporary servant until her maidservant arrives."

"You seem to have enjoyed her company much more than Arthur's" Gaius said suggestively.

"What makes you say that?"

"Oh no reason. So what did you think of her?"

Merlin, still in a dreamy state said, "She's wonderful. So kind, graceful, funny, confident..."

"Beautiful"

"Stunning. W-wait I didn't I mean... of course she's beautiful she's a princess but I don't— I just mean objectively"

"Yes of course. Objectively." Gaius smiled at the flustered Merlin.

"Oh what do you know?" he turned away and started tapping his knee with his fingers.

"How much longer will you be her servant?"

"Just until tomorrow evening"

"Well I suppose you'll have to enjoy it while it lasts."