Chapter 38

Elin

I stare out over the small cove. The sun sets out on the horizon casting brilliant shades of red and orange across the sky. A single boat is pushed from the shore, slowly making its way out to sea with the current. Every one of our warriors stands along the shore, most of them holding flickering torches. A single sword is stabbed into the ground at the waters edge.

The calm water lapping at the shore is the only sound in the cay. Beside me, Maverick stares out at the small boat, his eyes watering ever so slightly. I can't cry. Not now.

Maverick raises his long bow. Beside him, his sister does the same.

Welch walks behind them, carrying two flaming arrows. Maverick takes the first without hesitation. This wasn't about closure, it was out of obligation. We all knew that. It was just another ceremony that had to be done. Something Thorgar would ask if we did. The Keepers would say yes and supposably that would make everything okay.

Maverick loads his arrow and waits for Kori to do the same. She takes the arrow from Welch and their eyes meet for a moment. Again, I see her usually stone cold expression falter. Welch steps back and she turns towards the harbor. The small boat is almost out of the cove now. I can just barely see the body of my cousin amidst the pile of sticks. There was one stick placed there by each of us. When I had taken my last look at Max, I saw exactly who he was. He was more noble than any of us have ever proved ourselves. Even if I do get the courage to tell his family what actually happened in the village, it won't ever do him justice.

Maverick pulls back the arrow, aims, and sends it soaring through the air. As soon as the flaming arrow hits the pile of dry wood in the boat, it catches. Kori's arrow hits seconds later. The fire rises until the entire boat is just a mess of flame. The reflection of the glow stretches across the water, almost reaching the shore.

We all stare out at the boat that would serve as Max's grave.

I don't know how long it is before people start to fade back into the woods. Or how much longer it is before Maverick steps forward. He pulls Max's sword from the sand. After one last look out at the flaming boat, he turns to Welch offering the sword.

"This isn't mine to keep," Welch shakes his head.

"No one else deserves it. It's a Keepers sword."

Welch takes the sword and Maverick disappears back into the woods. Kori moves to stand in front of us.

"Thank you, for going back for him," Kori says.

I nod my head and start back towards our camp. Before I enter the thick woods I look back. Kori and Welch talk about something for a moment before she rushes into his embrace. A small smile creeps its way across my face.

The next morning, I wander through our camp and find the three Keepers sitting around a glowing fire. Welch and Kori talk about something but they stop as I approach. I sit beside Maverick who stares silently into the fire at the glowing embers. Welch rubs his hands together, holding them out to warm over the fire.

"So, we're going back to Antrapar?" I ask.

"Yes," Maverick says.

"No," Kori says at the same time.

"It's a bad idea!" Maverick hisses. I look back and forth between the two of them, trying to figure out what they're arguing about.

"Fine, you want to fight. It isn't even up to us then. Welch decides," Kori motions down at the scruffy looking blond boy. He leans back, yawning as if the whole conversation was boring him.

"That's not fair," Maverick protests. "He's obviously going to side with you."

"You chose him as Keeper! Of course it's fair."

"What are my choices?" Welch asks. "Go back to Antrapar and face your evil grandfather or go find a place to relax for awhile?"

He leans his head back and forth, pondering the decision.

"Relaxing is kind of something we all deserve," Welch concludes.

"That's great," Maverick laughs sarcastically. "My point is that we don't have anywhere to go."

"I know a place," I offer.

All eyes shift to me.

"Havredal."

"No way," Maverick stands up and starts to walk away.

"It's the only place Thorgar won't be able to find us."

"She's right there," Welch agrees.

"You really think Singrid is just going to let me into Havredal?" Kori asks.

"If we tell them what happened, yes."

Kori looks down at Welch for his input.

"I think Singrid will do anything for her daughter. And she hates Thorgar more than anyone," Welch shrugs. "I don't think it's a bad idea. Except we'd be showing tons of people where our secret village is."

"What are they going to see? The ocean? The coastline? They'll have no idea where we are," I laugh. I look to Kori, praying for once that she'd just go along with one of my ideas.

"I'm sick of making decisions. I'll take the quickest way to a bed," she answers.

Maverick shakes his head. "I don't think it's smart, but I'm outvoted. We leave in an hour. The last thing we need is for the warriors from the village to retaliate. None of us are in any shape to fight."

Epilogue

By some miracle, we leave our camp heading for home. My home. Havredal will always be home. The Keepers and I are the only ones that know where we're truly headed. All the other warriors were happy to oblige to whatever we told them after Welch mentioned a feast.

After almost two days of sailing, I can barely stand another day of watching the endless coastline. Welch stands up by Maverick, giving him directions every so often. Behind us, two ships sail, carrying all that remains of our once great army. Things would be better once we got to Havredal, even though I know in the back of my mind that I'll have to say goodbye again. After all I've been through since saying goodbye to my mother, it was all worth it. I can almost visualize the perfect place. The large wooden gates rising up along every side to protect us during the raid seasons. The vast fields of farmland. The memories bring a smile to my face.

Up ahead, a familiar cay juts out into the sea. I rush up to the bow, ready to be the first to see my village.

When the wind finally carries us to the opening of the harbor, my heart sinks. What had once been a brilliant village is now unrecognizable. Black, charred wood lies in messy heaps around the shore. The smell of smoke still hangs in the air. Ash swirls around in the wind around the crumbled dwellings. A ship sits, half sunk, along one of the docks. A gasp escapes my lips.

My home had been destroyed. What had happened to my family? My friends? Everything I had expected to be reassured of wasn't even a possibility now. None of this would've happened if no one had found Havredal. Before I can stop myself, a chilling thought runs through my head.

This was all my fault.

A/N: Okay, well, I don't know where to start. Thanks so, so, much for reading! I'm so excited to have all of book one up so I can start on book two! (Maybe I'll give you all a sneak peak in a few weeks.)

P.s. If you're looking for something else to read, check out my other book 'Mission 615.' Also, if you're into dystopian, I highly recommend 'Dust' by Ana Frank (my critique partner).

Hope you've enjoyed reading 'Fault' as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Tell me what you think in the comments.