Chapter 29

Vern

Max, Welch, and I walk through the village the next day towards a small hut that sits up on the edge of the fjord. A few other people from the mountain village stand around the opening. A shorter girl with blonde hair pushes the flap of the hut to the side, blinking as she emerges into the bright light. The group of young people greets her and starts back down the village.
“So, who gets to go find out their death sentence first?” Max asks.
“I mine as well go, since someone’s already given me mine,” Welch shoots Max a look of pure hatred.
Max rolls his eyes. “Have a good time.”
Welch disappears into the darkish hut. He comes out just minutes later and Max enters.
Welch dusts some dirt from his hands.
“Well, I’m stuck in the wall. Big surprise. He didn’t even look up at me.”
“The two of us will be in the shield wall until we die,” I clap my friend on the shoulder.
“Don’t doubt it,” Welch replies. He glances back at the hut. “I hope he ends up on lookout.”
“Unlikely, he’s one of the Keepers.”
Max walks out of the tent a few seconds later.
“Guess who just won Keeper of the Year!” Max says, beaming like he just won a duel.
Welch and Max start going at each other and I slip around them. I push the bear skin to the side and enter the dark space. Small candles hang from the ceiling around the room illuminating strange wood carvings. A small man cowers in the corner over a smoldering fire. He doesn’t look up and I wonder if the seer even knows I’m here.
“Vern Herreinn.”
The seer stands up still not facing me. Herreinn? I question the name in my head.
“You remind me of your father. Such a great sailor. An even better man.”
I clear my throat before speaking. “How do you know who I am?”
“Do you doubt the power of the gods?”
“Of course not,” I answer immediately.
“You come seeking answers. More than the rest.”
I finger one of the statues.
“I suppose you already know my questions, then.”
The man chuckles quietly. “You question your destiny. The gods ask much of you. They wish to see if you will stay true to the path.”
“What is this path?” I ask, getting more than a little irritated by the cryptic messages.
“As soon as it is spoken, it cannot be changed.”
“I understand.”
“You are to sail south. Only one person will join you on this journey. He is a friend, but also an enemy. You are in search of a new land, greater than all the rest. A viking kingdom that has lost it’s way. Great things will come to you Vern son of Östen but many things will also be taken.”
“You’re telling me to leave before Raid?”
The seer finally turns into the light. Black paint is smeared over his eyes and runs down his neck. His once small stature now measures up to my own.
“Leave everything,” he says pointedly.
I take a deep breath. “I can’t leave Elin.”
“Your paths may cross once again, you need only to trust the gods.”
“Can you promise me I will see her again?” 
The seer pauses a moment. “Some things are left up to fate.”
“That’s not a good enough answer!”
The man turns back to the fire and kneels down.
“That can’t be what the gods want me to do. Everything I’ve done has been to protect her.”
“Her destiny no longer lines up with yours. Perhaps fate will bring you together some day.”
“I don’t believe that,” I say. The seer doesn’t say anything else and I leave the hut. The sun reflects off the water below forcing me to cover my eyes. I don’t bother looking up for a long while. This can’t be happening. Leave Elin on Raid? Why would I do that?
I bite my lip and taste blood. Growing up, I’d always been told to listen to the gods, and that had made sense but this? This was different. Great things, that’s what the seer had said but what if I don’t want great things? 
All eyes turn to me as I walk into our village and I realize that I must look like a grouch. I plaster on a fake grin and retreat into our tent. Briar sits on his cot.
I try to ignore his stare but he doesn’t look away.
“Are you going to do it?” Briar asks.
“Do what?” I ask. Suddenly it clicks. A friend but an enemy. Of course the seer had told Briar about this scheme if he was supposed to come with me.
“Sail south.”
I shake my head. “I don’t know.”
“Figure it out. We need to leave before everyone else if we go.”
“You’d come with me?” I raise an eyebrow.
“I’m not going to question the gods. The second I do that, I’m as good as dead,” Briar says, leaning back on his bed.
I take a deep breath and glance out at the village.
“Then we do it.”