Chapter 16

My eyes widen and I back away slowly. The air feels like it’s being sucked from the room, leaving me to gasp pathetically. I search frantically to lock the remainder of my world that still makes sense in a box that no one else can touch.
“No. That can’t be possible,” I stammer. “They took me from my family! If it weren’t for you I’d still be with them.”
Eesa’s eyes harden. “Elin, if we hadn’t brought you here, you would’ve never come to Antrapar. Besides, if I’ve heard correctly, no one in your family knows where you are.”
“How do you know that?” I question.
“Just because we haven’t known where you are, that doesn’t mean I don’t know anything about you.”
I shake my head. “Why hasn’t Singrid told me anything about you?”
Eesa takes my hand. Her hand is icy cold but her grip is strong.
“You’ll find out a lot of things about Singrid and Tarben that you won’t like. In fact, you probably won’t believe us, but come with me, and I’ll show you. Hopefully, you will begin to understand.”
Eesa drops my hand and starts walking further into the halls. She stops by the doorway and turns to me.
“Why aren’t you following?” she questions.
I shrug. “I have no reason to trust you aren’t going to throw me into another prison cell.”
“Come child, I’ve stared into those same eyes for years. Not many people will ever know what you and Singrid are truly thinking but I, I’m one of those few exceptions. So stop trying to hide your curiosity! You wouldn’t have been on Raid if you didn’t want to find out more of Antrapar,” Eesa scolds.
And just like that, Eesa could read me like a book. Everything. Every movement, every expression. We walk through long corridors and finally come to an even larger courtyard filled with young people. They all stand in neat rows and hold their swords in front of them. Eesa and I stand off to the side in the walkway and watch them. A tall man walks in front of the group. His long blond hair hangs in locks around his face. As soon as he gives the signal, the group of young people all start doing forms. It’s like nothing I’ve never seen before. Both men and women all preform in the courtyard. The clash of the metal blades is in perfect sync. My eyes flicker across the group of people until a familiar blonde catches my eye. Kori moves in the front of the group along with six others who seem to be leading the exercises. Shield Maidens. Finally, I get to watch them.
“Kori told us they don’t have Shield Maidens in Havredal.” Eesa searches my expression.
I shake my head.
“Did Singrid ever teach you anything about them?”
“If you know I was on Raid, you can’t imagine I was defenseless,” I respond.
Eesa chuckles.
“I’ll take that as a no.”
I turn to her, disgusted. “There are only so many ways to swing a shield.”
“Now I see why Kori can’t stand you. It’s an art, Elin. And this is one of the few places it’s taught for the right reasons.”
“Reasons like, stealing wealth from everyone else?”
Eesa clicks her tongue. “If you thought that were true, you wouldn’t be here.”
I glance up at their leader who watches them intently. His harsh eyes rake the group and his arms are tightly crossed.
“Who is that?” I ask.
Eesa chuckles. “That’s Thorgar, my husband.”
Her gaze remains on him as she leans against the railing separating the higher hall from the courtyard.
“You’re Thorgar’s wife?” I exclaim.
“There is no one who wishes to meet you more than Thorgar, despite what he may say.”
Eesa starts moving down a hall away from the warriors and I jog to catch up.
“What does that mean?”
“My dear, you will like Antrapar. That I can promise, but Thorgar must act as a chieftain must,” Eesa responds. “Even if he may come across as harsh.”
“You act like that will be a new concept,” I mutter.
Pieces start to come together in my head but not nearly enough.
Eesa walks along the stone floor, her long cloak sweeping the dirt away. The corridor finally opens up around us into the village area of Antrapar. It reminds me of the trading island where I’d been taken from. A few children run into the square. They all laugh as they sprint, probably playing a game of sorts.
Everyone of them stop as soon as they see Eesa. They all give her small bows and she motions them on in their game. She walks down the street full of merchants until we come to a smaller alley. Eesa pulls a small knife from her belt.
“Stay close,” she whispers.
People squeeze past us through the small space. We come to a place where a small hut is open to the passage. Eesa slides inside and I follow. A small man stands from the back of the shop and approaches. The room is dark but completely cramped with things. A small fire glows at the back of the hut making everything smell like smoke. I cough quietly and Eesa glares at me. The man hobbles through the mess.
“Lady Eesa! One moment, I need to find..” he pushes several things aside, finally holding up a long object. “Ah, here it is.”
The man struggles through all the rubble and hands Eesa a long case. She tucks it under her arm.
“Thank you,” Eesa smiles.
As soon as we are out into the busier street, Eesa hands me the case. I shoot her an uncertain glance and she nods. I pull the small piece of twine from the case and pull off the lid. Inside is a sword wrapped in cloth.
“A sword?” I ask.
“It was Thorgar’s idea. No doubt Ishtar left yours somewhere in the trade islands,” she explains. Eesa takes the case so I can strap the weapon to my waist. It’s far prettier than anything I’ve ever seen in Havredal. The leather used in the belt is dyed a bright red color that matches the decorations on the hilt.
“Why would you give me a weapon?”
“The same reason I would feed you a meal.”
I grin and Eesa wraps an arm around my shoulders.
“Tonight is the firelight feast. I will take you back to our home and you should rest until then.”
My eyes pop open and I’m greeted by soft evening light. I push the blankets off my body and make my way to the open window. The city below is alive with movement. People cram into the streets, all moving one way or another.
I sit along the sill and swing my legs above the streets below. Beyond the mess of dwellings, the ocean calls my attention. A gust of chilly air blows over the city and I pull my knees into my chest. A metal chink is muffled from my pocket and I pull a single ring from the cloth.
“Vern,” I whisper. Tears start to fill my eyes.
Was it worth it? I was finally here, in Antrapar but how many people had it ruined. If Ishtar was telling the truth, Vern could be dead. Singrid was looking for me. Tarben would no doubt find out soon enough if Vern hadn’t told him. I bury my head in my hands. This was not what was supposed to happen.