Rumor has it...

Dumbledore stood up from his throne, gaining the attention of the room. He announced something about a painful death, but I wasn't paying attention because food appeared on the table. I'd never seen so much food in my life, and that's saying something because I live with the Dursleys. The only problem was I didn't recognize most of it. It all smelled divine, though.

A blonde girl beside me saw me staring at the food, questioning what I should eat. The girl seemed to be thinking over her words before she opened her mouth to speak.

"You've never seen any of this, have you?" She asked. Her voice was quiet but cold. I nodded slowly, wondering why she was speaking to me.

How did you know?" I asked. The girl rolled her eyes.

"You're staring at it like a muggle would stare at a hippogriff," She said. I nodded my head, having no clue what a hippogriff was.

"Try the venison with cranberry sauce," She told me, pointing at a large platter of meat and red sauce in a white bowl. I thanked her and put some on my plate. I hesitantly ate it. This was rich people's food, but then again, apparently, I fall under that category, too, after seeing how much money I have.

"I'm Daphne Greengrass," The girl introduced herself. I smiled at her.

"I'm Ophelia Potter," I replied. Daphne let out a light laugh.

"I know. Everyone knows who you are."

"I forgot. It's still hard to grasp that I'm famous," I said.

"Why would that be hard to grasp?" Daphne asked, confused. A dark-skinned boy listening to our conversation turned to look at me to hear my answer.

"Because I'm not famous in the muggle world. So this is all new to me," I said, unsure of why they were confused. Daphne choked on her drink before she composed herself.

"You were raised in the muggle world!" The dark-skinned boy repeated a little louder than I would have liked. The Slytherins who heard the boy's statement let out a gasp, and whispers quickly spread to the end of the table where people hadn't heard his statement. I looked around at the outbreak of whispers. I thought it was common knowledge that I was raised by muggles.

"Hush! This is not the time nor the place to speak of this," A burly girl addressed the table. Immediately quieting everyone. She was wearing a green prefect badge like Percy.

The table resumed eating, including Daphne and the boy across from her. I mentally thanked the prefect for taking the attention off of me. Selena nudged me, and I turned to see her with a hint of fear in her eyes.

"Remember that man, Severus, who followed us in Diagon Alley and helped kidnapped us?" Selena whispered to me in a low voice to keep from anyone hearing. I gave her a nod, not seeing where this conversation was going.

"I think he's our professor," She said, nodding to the staff table. I turned to see Severus glaring at me with a scowl. I quickly looked away with a groan.

"Could this be any worse?" I whispered. Victoria turned to see who we were looking at.

"That's Professor Snape. He's head of Slytherin House. It's rumored that he worked for Voldermort during the war," Victoria stated. I groaned again, rubbing my head.

"That was rhetorical," I mumbled to no one in particular. I had hoped I could enjoy my life at Hogwarts, but I couldn't do that if I was constantly worried that my head of house was reporting my every move to Voldermort.

"It'll be fine. We'll figure something out," Selena reassured.

"Did I miss something?" Victoria asked.