Knight Bus

As I ran toward the stairs, I could hear Vernon's footsteps as he ran after me. My breathing was erratic as I continued running, ignoring the stabbing pains in my chest. I felt like I was on the verge of passing out, but I knew if Vernon got a hold of me, passing out would be the least of my worries.

I made it to the attic ladder, and thankfully it was still down. I began climbing when something grabbed hold of my foot, trying to pull me down. I glanced down to see Vernon. I started shaking my foot, trying to get loose, panic rising in my chest. He wouldn't let go, though, only pulling harder.

"Let go!" I yelled. For the first time in a long time, I was scared. Tears began to fall as I tried not to sob. I tried to kick his head, but it wasn't working.

I was beginning to lose my grip on the ladder, but suddenly Selena's head popped out of the attic entrance. She outstretched her hand, and I took it. She began pulling me up, and I gave one final kick, landing a blow to Vernon's head. He let go falling back with a grunt. I quickly scrambled up the latter.

Selena ran towards the window with two backpacks in hand. I didn't question how she knew we needed to leave; I figured it had something to do with her gift. When we first met, Selena came up with a plan for if our life was ever in enough danger that we needed to flee, and that was the exact situation I was in.

I could hear Vernon slowly climbing up the attic latter, so I quickly slipped on his leather jacket and breathed in the scent of whiskey and fire. I slipped on Selena's tattered backpack and climbed out the window onto a tree branch. I gasped quietly as another sharp pain shot through my chest. I definitely had a broken rib, if not two.

Selena looked at me questioningly. I gave her a small smile and tried to move but almost fell off the branch. She grabbed my shoulder to stabilize me. I heard a thump behind me, and I turned to see Vernon in the attic.

"Get back here, girl!" Vernon shouted, running to the window.

"Go, go, go!" I yelled. We raced to climb down the tree and get off the Dursley's property. When we were close to the bottom of the tree, we jumped, neither of us landing on our feet. We quickly got up and booked it down the street.

When we didn't think Vernon would drive after us, we slowed to a walk. Suddenly I started coughing up blood which I promptly wiped off my face. Thankfully Selena didn't notice.

Neither of us knew where we were going, only knowing it was better than where we came from.

"I got my letter today," Selena said in an attempt to break the uncomfortable silence. I smiled, knowing this was important to her.

"Did you read it yet?" I asked. She shook her head and took a crinkled piece of paper from her back pocket. On the front of the letter read,

Miss S Black

The attic

4 Privet Drive

Little Whinging

Surrey

Selena let out an excited squeal, and I smiled at her. I ignored that it was addressed to the exact spot she lived. Did that mean whoever sent the letter knew we lived in an attic?

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of  WITCHCRAFT and  WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Black,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Terms begin September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmaster

"We should go buy our supplies! Can we please go?" Selena begged. I hesitated. I didn't want to be noticed as the girl who lived. Seeing my hesitation, she added," We could buy your supplies too."

I stared her over, noticing her malnourished body and noticeable bags under her eyes, but despite that, she was happy, and that's all that mattered. I sighed but nodded, ignoring the nagging in my brain telling me to return to the Dursleys.

Go back, the voice whispered. They're the only family you have left. I shook the voice away. The Dursleys would never be my family. Selena Black was my family.

Apparently, I'm not great at multi-tasking because I didn't notice the metal pole until my head collided with it, knocking me to the ground. I groaned in pain, holding my head. I guess I can add concussion to my ever-growing list of injuries. While I was checking to see if I was bleeding, Selena was dying of laughter.

"The sign says stop," She said between laughs. I rolled my eyes and got up.

"Oh really? I thought it said go," I said sarcastically.

"Sooo, how are we going to get to London?" She asked. I groaned. I felt my magic spike picking up my mood. I couldn't believe I didn't think about that. We couldn't go back to the Dursleys, but we couldn't walk either. I ran a hand through my messy black, sighing loudly.

"It's only about noon. Maybe we coul-" I was interrupted by a loud screech and a gust of wind. Next to us on the road was a purple triple-decker bus. On the windshield in gold lettering, read The Knight Bus.

The doors swung open, and two men sat in the front seats. They were both wearing purple uniforms and name tags. The first guy's name tag read Stan Shunpike, who had a pimpley face and looked incredibly bored. He couldn't have been older than 18. The second man's name tag read Ernie Prang; unlike Stan, he looked like he was 100 years old.

"Well, are you going to get on?" Stan asked, irritated that we were still standing there.

"Hush, Stan," Ernie said before turning to us, "Where are you headed, ladies? London, Hogsmede, Diagon Alley?" The last place piqued my interest. That's where we need to buy our supplies. I grinned slightly, coming up with a plan.

"Do you mind taking us to Diagon Alley? Father left his lunch at home; he works at the ministry. So, he was too busy to come back home. Father says this is the best transportation." I said, looking up at him with innocent eyes while messing with my shirt acting nervous.

"Why, of course, little lady! Step right in and have a seat. What're your names?" He asked with a hint of pride in his voice.

I grabbed Selena by the wrist and pulled her in, despite her glaring and shaking head. I rolled my eyes. The Blacks and their distrust.

"I'm Coraline Amor, and this is my sister Lila Amor." I lied effortless. Entering the bus, I saw all sorts of different wizards and witches seated behind some kind of glass shield, which you had to walk through to get to the seats. My guess is it's either a protective shield or a sound barrier.

I dragged a pouting Selena through the shield and immediately felt the pulsing magic in the air, buzzing like a shock wave. It made my head feel like it was going to explode, and I began feeling light-headed and dizzy. I barely made it into a seat before I began to lose consciousness, and then darkness engulfed my vision.