Robes and Wands

My breath hitched at her words. I should have known, should have trusted my instincts. I looked around the streets of Diagon Alley to see the Robe shop was only a few buildings from where we stood. I tugged Selena toward a random shop, hoping our stalker would follow. We stopped in front of a glass window, and I tilted my head slightly to see the reflection of all the people behind us, trying to recognize who was following us.

Selena caught on to what I was doing and followed suit. There was a family of redheads eating ice cream, a bald man trying on hats, and little kids begging their parents to buy the latest broom, but no one suspicious. And then I spotted him.

It was the same man from the pub. He was standing in the shadows beside the ice cream shop, watching us. His black robes made him almost invisible in the shadows. No one would spot him unless they were looking.

Selena spotted him too but didn't seem to recognize him. I nodded towards the robe shop, and she gave me a slight nod back. We hurried into the shop, hoping the man wouldn't try to follow us.

My only words for the shop were organized chaos. Mannequins and fabrics of every color and texture floating around the air. Toward the back was a small plumb woman who seemed to be altering robes for two identical redheads. She didn't hear us when we came in, so when I cleared my throat, she jumped in surprise and accidentally stabbed one of the boys with a safety pin.

"Ouch! Merlins' beard that hurt," The boy complained, rubbing his arm while glaring at his brother, who was laughing at him. To retaliate, the boy grabbed a pin from the air and stabbed his brother in the arm. I watched in amusement as they began bickering. The elderly witch let out a huff of irritation, giving up on trying to keep them still.

"Hogwarts dearies?" The witch asked. We nodded, and she quickly ushered us to a platform beside the boys. She then disappeared to the back of the shop.

The boys turned their attention to us when she was out of sight and smirked.

"The names Fred-" "And George-" "Weasley-" "Who do-" "We have the-" "Pleasure of-" "Meeting?" They said, finishing each other's sentences. I giggled slightly at the exchange.

"I'm Selena Black, and this is Ophelia Potter. The pleasure is ours," She said. I rolled my eyes and jabbed her in the ribs. I could have introduced myself. The boys' eyes widened hearing Selena's surname, but they quickly recovered, grinning at us.

I felt like I recognized the last name, but I couldn't place from where. I knew it wasn't from Privet Drive because the Dursleys would have left the neighborhood quickly if they found out someone had magical relations near them. They wouldn't put up with being near abominations. Maybe I heard it when Selena was telling me about the wizarding world. For now, I pushed those thoughts away, planning on asking Selena later.

"What year are you, Messrs. Weasleys?" Selena asked the boys. I wondered why she was calling them by their last name when I recalled one of my early lessons on "How not to humiliate yourself in the Wizarding World" taught by Professor Selena Black. It's custom to wizards and witches by their surnames until otherwise stated, especially if they were Purebloods. It was a precaution to avoid insulting a powerful house by assuming a friendship and trust.

"Third year Gryffindors," They answered, pride laced in their voices.

"What house do you wish to be in, Miss Potter and Black?" They asked. They looked unsure if they were supposed to call us by our last names but did it anyway. Selena nodded her head in approval of the use of pureblood customs. She was a freak about reputations and formalness. I snorted, then coughed to mask my unladylike action.