𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟕: 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

Start from the beginning

His exclamation was loud and caught Julia and Carmen's attention. 

"What's going on?"

"You two are cousins?" Blake's finger went back and forth pointing at both of them.

Julia nodded her head, innocently. "Yeah, practically grew up together."

Blake wanted to laugh when he saw Carmen look just as surprised.

"What did you think was going on?" Julia had her arms crossed against her chest but her tone was completely clueless.

Jacob shook his head, smiling this time. Blake laughed even more. 

"I can't believe after all we've been through, you failed to mention that part."

They were all still laughing when the door suddenly opened before any more could be said. Two people came in. 

They introduced themselves as Vanessa and Matthew. 

"All we're going to do is bring you in one at a time and ask you some questions. If you don't feel comfortable, don't think you have to answer, but do know that everything you give us will help, whether you think so or not."

Vanessa glanced at Blake briefly during the last part of her speech, giving him a small smirk.

~~~

Carmen Yates

The female agent brought Carmen into what he could only assume was an interrogation room. She told him to have a seat as she got out a notebook and a pen. Carmen's hands slightly shook.

"Alright, let's start from the beginning, how did you end up with Warner?"

Carmen feared he would have to answer that question. He knew he wasn't all too innocent when it came to his past, but he knew if he ever wanted to see what a clear future could look like, he had to take his chances and just be honest.

He told her about everything. From the day he was an orphan to the moment he got caught up with Warner. He also told her about how Warner treated him differently than his team.

"What do you mean?" She scribbled something on her paper.

Carmen fidgeted in his chair. "Well, Warner kind of took me in."

Vanessa's eyebrows furrowed slightly. "So he treated you differently?"

"Yeah, he provided for me and taught me a lot of things... most of which are pretty much illegal," he chuckled nervously.

Vanessa sat up straighter, looking at him. "What changed?"

Carmen didn't know how to explain it. "I was a terrible person... especially towards Blake. But, once we were sent on that mission and I saw him get so hurt," he paused, the memories started to flood in, "something changed. Blake was hurting so bad and crying and was shouting that he just wanted to go home and be free again. It was at that moment that my views on him changed. When I had to take him back to Warner, I felt this voice telling me that I can be set free too."

Vanessa smiled. "I believe that was God's voice you felt."

Carmen didn't know about that. He didn't know what kind of God could possibly be watching out for him.

When Vanessa saw how quiet he got, she closed her pad. "Is there anything else I should know?"

Carmen felt tears swelling. "I know he's a terrible guy, but is it wrong that I don't want anything bad to happen to him?"

Vanessa hesitated. "By what I can tell, Warner was the only person in your life you could probably count on. I mean, you said it yourself, he was the one that took you in."

Carmen didn't dare to look up at her, he didn't know what to say.

"Listen kid, I'm going to be honest, Warner did a lot of terrible things and is being charged for it all. Destruction of property, second and first-degree murders, kidnapping kids and holding them hostage, not to mention the fact that he also stole a bunch of money from ministries across the country."

Carmen cringed, he knew none of this was looking good for him either.

The agent in front of him stood. "Unfortunately for you, we're going to have to put you in custody as well... until more evidence is revealed and trial is taken place, at least. If the court proves innocent, you'll be set free. If not you'll have to face the consequences whatever the judge will deem."

Carmen sat silently, taking reality in. After a few moments, an officer came to take him away.

As they walked past into the hallway, he only made contact with Julia and gave her a little smile letting her know he was okay.

And that was it. He didn't know if he would ever get to see them again.

 He didn't know if he would ever get to see them again

A/N

a little bit of a longer chapter sorry :D

**just a reminder to pray for the world, there's a bunch of things going on today and we need Jesus now more than ever. I believe He still hears us and watches over us and all of the people everywhere, no matter the situation. 

if you need an uplifting, upbeat song of encouragement... <3

fr tho the bridge in this song is perfect ^ my fav song rn!!

God is fighting for us
pushing back the darkness
lighting up the Kingdom
that cannot be shaken
in the name of Jesus
the enemy's defeated
and we will shout it out
shout it out...