Chapter 20 - Sweet and Sour

"Yep, that's me." Adelina nodded as she tried to avoid his intense gaze. The atmosphere grew really awkward and uncomfortable for her. At that moment, she wanted nothing than to just run to the car so that Derek could drive them home.

Noticing the way he was smiling at Adelina, a thought popped in Lydia's mind, "She's single." Adelina's mouth gaped open as she stared wide eyed at her friend.

"Good to know." He chuckled, before leaving. His eyes looking her up and down before he left.

Adelina was still too stunned to speak. "What?" Lydia asked as she noticed her friends stare at her.

Isaac walked over to them, slowly leaning toward them as his brow raised, "What was that about?"

"A hot guy was checking out Adi so I told him she was single." Lydia smiled, completely proud of herself as she shrugged her shoulders.

Adelina had finally recovered from her shock. Letting out a scoff, she glared at Lydia, "He didn't need to know that!"

Lydia sighed before placing a hand on her shoulder, "Adi, when a hot guy is clearly interseted in you, you go for it. You're a beautiful girl. I dont see why you wouldn't want to get with him. Isn't she beautiful, Isaac?"

Isaacs eyes widened slightly at Lydia's abrupt question. "Uh- yeah. Yeah, very beautiful." His hand rubbed the back of his neck as he grew nervous. He was thankful that Adelina hadn't turned around or she would've seen the pink stain that spread across his cheeks.

"See?" Lydia smiled at her unimpressed friend. "I'll catch you later." She winked before walking away.

"Well... Good luck with that." Allison giggled before quickly hugging Adelina and following after Lydia.

Adelina just stood there shaking her head in disappointment at her friend. Deciding it would be better to ignore what just happened, she turned around and opened the car door of the camaro. "You coming Isaac?" She turned to him, noticing his slightly flushed cheeks.

"I'm actually gonna go with Scott today." He nodded, grinning whilst glancing at her eyes.

His odd behaviour made her smile, "Okay, I'll see you later then." She chuckled. Then she slid into the passenger seat, with Derek climbing into the driver seat after her. She flinched slightly when the door slammed behind him, causing her brows to furrow.

~

The entire ride back to the loft, Derek didn't say a word. Each time Adelina tried to speak to him, he would simply ignore her or brush her off. The most frustrating part was that she didn't know why.

After Derek closed the loft door, she spun around to face him, a serious expression on her face, "What is wrong with you today?"

He ignored her question and walked past her, his eyes not meeting hers once. She felt the anger beginning to boil inside of her. Why was he acting like this? Had she done something?

A scoff escaped her lips as she grabbed onto his arm, forcing him to look at her, "Why are you acting so weird? You've been ignoring me and brushing me off. Did I do something?" He finally looked at her as her voice cracked. "What is it?" Her hand reached out to his cheek but he pulled away from her.

She watched as he walked away from her, a pain growing in her chest along with the anger and frustration. He sighed before finally speaking, "You just don't know what you do to me..."

Her brows furrowed, "What?"

"Every day I'm worrying about you. Worried that you'll get hurt, or you'll cry, or we'd argue and you'll get upset. I can't stop thinking about how to keep you safe and you just- you're so oblivious to everything." His voice rose slightly in volume and his frustration was clear.