11: Small Victories

Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday to me,

Happy birthday to all of us,

Happy birthday dear us.

That's right! There is not one, not two, but THREE birthdays to celebrate!

Obviously Washington, congrats on 290 man. Then there's me. I did not consent to becoming a year older, someone stop this. And lastly, my great-grandmother, who would have been 99.

I made Gwen's birthday the 22nd because I just find it ridiculously ironic that not only do I share a birthday with my grand-mamma, but it's also on Washington's birthday.

It's been quite a semester for me... made even worse by the departure of TURN off Netflix. There are a lot of jumps, I wanted to fill everything into one chapter. So if stuff feels rushed or disconnected... well that's just how it's going to be.

ENJOY!
Oh and please do listen to the music above. It's a beautiful piece from an amazing series. Embodies this chapter so well.

Published: February 22, 2022... Happy Twos-day

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

Middlebrook, New Jersey, June 24, 1777.

Colonel Hamilton ran through the dismantling army camp.

They were leaving their defensive position in the hills now that Howe had withdrawn his troops. It had already been a taxing experience, with the British baiting them to attack at every opportunity. But the recent reports that British General Howe returned to Amboy two days prior gave General Washington the incentive to strike.

He only hoped the reported troop numbers were accurate.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

Tallmadge and Pickler were organizing the remaining intelligence reports before they sent them off to Sackett. The spymaster had already moved to a more permanent location while the army began a new campaign. Ensuring all intelligence remained secure and out of enemy hands in the event they had to retreat and abandon everything.

AN: When the British invaded Tallmadge's outpost in 1779 (I think) and stole a case containing intelligence

"Is that everything?" Pickler asked, handing over the last of the most recent scouting reports.

"It should be," the Major replied.

"Tallmadge!"

Both officers jumped at the sound, the sudden reflex causing Tallmadge to drop the stack of papers.

Pickler barely managed to catch the reports before they had the chance to splay across the ground. He glared at the figure aggressively pushing aside the tent flap while Tallmadge ran a hand through his hair realizing there was no danger.

To say he barged in was an understatement. The man could have run through a wall in his state.

"Really," Will deadpanned as he stood back up.

Hamilton ignored his comment, "Please tell me you have new intelligence on Howe's movements."

"Unfortunately we don't," Ben answered.

"What about troop numbers?"

Will rolled his eyes. What part of no new intelligence did he not understand?

"Most likely the same as when he first marched into New Jersey."

Pickler raised an eyebrow, "I thought he returned to Amboy? Isn't that why we're leaving our defensive position here?"