Prophecies (3)

last part of previous chapters

Bruno's POV
     The first thing I noticed as I came to, was the soft surface I was on. What is this? I wondered, trying to blink my eyes open.

     Unfortunately, there was a lot of gunk in the corners of them, and my arms didn't seem to be functioning properly. I contemplated just going back to sleep, but even though I felt exhausted, I had a strange inkling that I had been asleep for longer than I should have been. Luckily, after a few unsuccessful attempts, I was finally able to pry my eyelids apart.

     Yikes. I winced at the bright sunlight streaming down from the blue, cloudless sky. At least Pepa's probably in a good mood.

     Tilting my head downwards, I smiled when I noticed that the light weight on my chest was Antonio's stuffed leopard. Slowly, I looked around me, trying to figure out what had happened after the vision went...wonky.

     Well, that's one way of putting it. I cringed, hoping that no one was too badly hurt because of me.

     Glancing to my side, I noticed Camilo sitting in a chair, frowning down at his clasped hands. His foot was tapping a fast rhythm on the ground, and there were deep bruises bruises beneath his hazel-green orbs.

      I wonder what's wrong with him. He seemed fine when he joined the circle. Maybe something  happened, maybe someone-

     I mentally shoved the thought away. No. I was careful. I made sure to absorb all of the energy. Everybody looked completely fine, and Julieta had just made lunch, so any of the minor wounds they might have gotten should be gone by now. I pursed my lips, wishing I was as good at reassuring myself as I was at digging myself into endless messes.

     "What's the matter, Camilo?" I eventually croaked, trying to sit up.

     At the sound of my voice, Camilo's head shot up, and he gave me the biggest smile I'd ever seen on his face. What on earth-

     "Bruno!" He shouted, lunging forward and pulling me into a hug. "Bruno's awake!"He yelled joyfully, squeezing me so tightly I could feel my bones creak.

     I thought that Luisa was the strong one! I gasped weakly, causing Camilo's hold on me to loosen  as he rambled apologies, his eyes darting over me and searching for any visible wounds.

     "It's fine, sobrinito." I chuckled. "But why did you—"

     At the sound of thundering footsteps, I glanced up, noticing what seemed like the rest of the family pouring into the room from the kitchen, the front door, and their own rooms.

     "It's Bruno!"

     "He's awake!"

     "Bruno's awake!"

     I gaped at their cheering, dumbfoundedly watching mi familia race toward me. Paling at the stampede, I flinched in Camilo's arms slightly, not sure what to expect. However, as soon as they reached Camilo and I, everyone threw their arms around me, making me the center of a very large group hug.

     I blinked, frozen in awe for a moment, before smiling slightly. Relaxing into the embrace, I looked around, noticing all of my relatives were actually here, a rare occurrence at this time of day. Usually at least one or two would be caught up in helping the townspeople, if not out exploring the jungle.

     The hug lasted a long time, no one letting go of me, or even saying anything. Did something happen? Just how long have I been asleep? I wondered, frowning slightly in concern.

     "Is...is everything alright?" I asked, my voice raspy from sleep.

     "Bruno, you idiot!" Pepa sobbed, practically crushing me at this point. "You should have told us that your powers tire you out!"