So Que Tu Haces, No Es Amor part. 2

part two to the previous story, same warnings apply, written by same person

---------------------------------------------------------

Text
"Quiero desayunar, tio Bruno?" Antonio asked. He stood there in the open doorway, his small, sweet round face lit in an adorable smile. A toucan sat on his shoulder, pecking at his dark cloud of hair. Bruno turned to face him, sitting on the floor cross-legged, paper in one hand, pencil in the other. He was writing the script for his next rat-soap opera. The creative process was difficult, but rewarding. Often he would be struck with fits of inspiration, only to cease writing for months on end. He smiled, rising to his feet, setting down his things.

"Si, poco Antonio. What are we having?" He asked. As he approached the door,

Antonio reached out to take his hand. Bruno accepted it, feeling the small soft hand against his, the baby-fat that still remained.

"Tia Julieta is making huevos pericos! My favorite!" Antonio said happily. He stuck his unoccupied hand in his mouth, sucking on it happily. Bruno eyed him, a light smile on his face. Sometimes, he felt he could relate to Antonio very well. Unlike many others of his family, Antonio was small, softer, a little weaker than most boys his age, though his animal friends always helped him through whatever situations befell him. He could chatter for hours, or be silent for more, and he expressed himself with every inch of his body, waving and humming and flapping. He was like living sunshine, bright and happy and sweet. It was so wonderful to get to be around him. Bruno only regretted not getting to hold him as a baby.

"Mine too, 'Tonio. Does your friend there want to eat with us, or will he dine alone?" Bruno adopted a light teasing tone. Antonio giggled. "Abuela says he can't eat any of the food off the table anymore. Plus, papa doesn't like it."

Bruno laughed. Felix had not been too pleased when the toucan had dove, snatching the arepa con quesito right out of his hand. From then on, animals were expected to behave themselves if they wanted to be allowed near the table.

They stepped up to the door frame together. Bruno looked down, and made certain to match his steps to Antonio's. If he didn't, he'd have to go back and do it again, and what a hassle it would be for Antonio. He looked at the door, and knocked three times. He held his breath, crossed his fingers, and-

He looked down at Antonio who was looking at him with a keen interest. Bruno felt himself flush.

"Lo siento," he mumbled. "I'll make us late if I-"

Antonio let go of his hand, and stepped forward. He knocked on the door frame (uno, dos, tres,) and spun the doorknob, uno, dos, tres- yes! He crossed his fingers, holding his hand up to show Bruno, and took a deep breath, holding it.

Bruno stared at him. Never, never once in his life had anyone ever followed him along in his... er... delusions. Supported them? Si. The familia was far more of accepting of him now then when he was a child, and any odd behavior was reprimanded. But for the first time in his life, someone showed him they understood, and they wanted to show support. Bruno was touched.

Antonio released his breath. "I couldn't hold my breath any longer!" He declared. "Did I do it right, tio? We can try again a lot, if you want."

Bruno stared down at him. He reached up, and wiped his eyes.

"No, chico dulce," he whispered. "You did it perfectly." Then, he added, "Gracias."

"De nada, tio."

Then, Bruno took Antonio's hand. With his other he knocked on the doorframe, which Antonio mimicked, his chubby fist thumping the wood, and the two of them took a deep breath together, crossed their fingers, and crossed the threshold.