32; Crossing the river, again

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"But I still can't understand anything you're saying! I hate it here! I f*cking hate it here! I hate you!"

It's been a bad week.

More specifically, Isaac has been having quite a bad week. As the words of his own language echo along the empty marble hallways of the palace, his point gets across.

"Calm down please, I know you're upset but let's just talk this through"

The thing is, Isaac is young. Lately he's been feeling very unstable. Perhaps things happened too fast? Or maybe it's more the fact that he doesn't have any friends here, nobody except for the emperor. Isaac is still learning how to live life, how to love someone, and how to integrate into a society as tight as this one. Especially the language part has been hard for him lately. Not hearing his own language is slowly driving him insane, since he has to translate everything everyone are saying in his head all the time.

Today is the day his anger has boiled over. Days of being at the palace, studying and staying silent, and suddenly the rage is there. Red and hot, burning inside of him like an eternal flame. Anaxagoras is relatively busy at times and can't always spend time with him, for obvious reasons. So daytime he spends all alone, going insane, because people at the palace don't speak to him. Not the servants, nor the officials or the guards utter even a word. Not even after he has become prince regent after marrying the emperor. Not even now, unless they have to.

Today after Anaxagoras came back from work he was met with an angry Isaac, for the first time since the first day they met. The concerned Anaxagoras could only try his best to calm the shorter down, but Isaac can't. The two of them have spent a lot of time together for these past few months, and even gotten married, but it's not like they are extremely in love yet and know everything about each other. No, they are still learning and growing together. Their marriage was somewhat forced, too soon, but they are working on it anyway. Growing into it.

So it's no surprise that Anaxagoras has a hard time calming Isaac down. There is also the small problem of Isaac refusing to speak a language that the emperor can understand. Maybe he is stubborn, but most likely his brain just can't translate the words through his emotional mental state. But because Anaxagoras is pleading, Isaac forces himself to calm down.

"I just- I-"

Isaac drags his fingers through his hair.

"God, I need to see my sister. Maybe pray. She always knew how to pray..."

Anaxagoras can only watch him mumble to himself. Usually he finds Isaac speaking his own language beautiful, it suits him. He speaks so naturally and with confidence. It's attractive, but it's also relaxing to see the man that he is in love with feel comfortable speaking, because he usually sounds unsure and timid. But now it feels terribly irritating to hear him speak a language that he can't understand, not because he hates it, but because he badly wants to understand. Anaxagoras wants to help him, but he can't. And that's frustrating for a guy that usually gets everything that he wants and can do anything about everything. Now he is without answers, and without solutions.

"I'm going to Irene"

Isaac finally manages to mutter out. Anaxagoras looks like he wants to protest, like he wants to keep him here. But ever since the wedding the two haven't met, and it's been weeks. Isaac has gone a long time without seeing his sister and Anaxagoras understands, at least to some extent. He understands enough to keep his mouth shut, at least. And he also understands that Isaac is not his prisoner, at least not anymore. He is a person with feelings and thoughts of his own, as well as a life of his own and rights and freedom. Even if Anaxagoras is emperor, he can't restrict the man he loves.