chapter ten | flying

Start from the beginning

"Yes! Plus she can have a little," She points a thumb at Sabrina. "Let me just get her settled into her stroller then we can hit the road," I don't reply, just look at her setting Sabrina into the car seat and attaching it to the stroller.

I get back to thinking for a few minutes. Although I've been starting to like Garrett and told him something I haven't told anyone in years, I can't help but feel like we haven't truly connected.

I feel this way, but at the same time, I have never been this serious with someone before.

I doubt he would tell me all of that about his family if he didn't think we were serious.

Kayla finished strapping up the baby and made sure she was warm. "She looks like a mushroom," I say without thinking. I slap a hand over my mouth. I seriously need to start thinking before I speak.

Kayla doubles over in laughter and takes out her phone. Once she is finished cackling she snaps a picture of Sabrina and puts a mushroom emoji next to her head and sends it to Austin.

"How did you and him meet anyway?" I curiously question her. She blushes at this, so I'm going to assume it wasn't an innocent meeting.

"Well, you see, funny story," She starts. "Chill. You don't have to tell me if you'd not want to, it was just a question," I assure her.

"No, it's just funny. I was at a bar with some of my friends at the time. One of them was what a guy would consider a puck bunny. Anyways, the team went to that bar after the game and my friend decided Austin was the one she wanted to hook up with. Like most of the players that age, he did hook up with her." She starts. This doesn't seem so bad so far.

"They came back from hooking up and Austin came over to me and tried to hook up with me. Needless to say, I was not having it. Anyways, we always were at that bar and would always try to hook up with me. This made that particular friend mad and one day she did some stuff. I don't know what her intentions were but she drugged me. He found out and got a few of the guys on the team to come to threaten her." She laughs at that part.

That's the funny part? That's psychopathic, not funny. Dark humor at its finest I suppose.

"He asked me out on a date and I said no. Anyways, after a lot of begging we went out and then, BAM, here we are," She says with a huge smile on her face.

"Cute," I say with a small smile. We walk out of the hotel room and into the elevator.

Frozen yogurt near me, I search on google. One that is almost around the corner comes up so I show it to Kayla and we decide to just walk there.

"Hello there," A smirking teenage boy greets us as we walk into the building. He doesn't work here but is here eating some yogurt with his friends.

"I'm married, with a baby. She is dating a six-and-a-half-foot man, you look like your thirteen. Is that enough reason for you to stop talking to us?" Kayla questions the kid.

I just look at her. I'm not dating Garrett and he is not six and a half feet tall. Well, he might be...

No, he's not. He just seems taller because I'm short. "Whatever." The teenager grumbles and goes back to his yogurt.

It's self-serve, and then you weigh it and pay for it. I get some strawberry cheesecake yogurt and put a bunch of strawberries on the top. Kayla got salty caramel and put some caramel drizzle on it. She only put it on a small section of it because she's feeding the other half to the baby.

We sit down at a table after I pay for it. It was only a few dollars so there's no point in doing two different transactions.

"What else to do? We have about three hours until we have to be at the arena." Kayla says looking down at her watch.