TWENTY-ONE

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Silco sits at his desk holding his eye syringe putting it together. He sighs at the absence of Jinx. Silco readjusts himself back in the chair lifting the metal syringe to his eye trying to inject himself. He struggles to do so.

Silco is startled as Jinx swoops from behind the chair and grabs the metal eye syringe from Silco aggressively.

"Let me help you with that." Jinx twirls the syringe.

Silco grunts as Jinx grabs his head "Where've you been, Jinx?"

Jinx climbs into his lap facing him toying with the syringe getting up into Silco's personal space "Oh, you know. Here, there, Chasing down dead ends."

Jinx moves her hand to grab Silco's jaw "And guess what? They're not all dead."

"I can explain."

Jinx doesn't listen moving Silco's face to the side and stabs his cheek with the needle "Don't move, silly. I might hurt you."

"I didn't know. Marcus never told me he was still alive."

Jinx stabs his other cheek "But you found out he was and that he was here. You lied." she stabs him again.

Silco grunts in pain, his fist clenched, and gabs a hold of Jinx's wrist holding his jaw.

"I wanted to protect you."

"From what?"

"He and the girl are here for an assassination attempt and the crystal. Not for you."

Jinx continues to make eye contact with Silco staying quiet.

"Have you forgotten how he left you? Who found you? Who cared for you? Gave you a home?"

Jinx's composure began to break.

"I am your family. Everyone else betrays us."

Jinx whimpers as the voices whisper in her ear.

"I need you."

Jinx starts to sob.

"Now more than ever."

Jinx lifts the syringe next to her head eyes welling with tears.

"You have to complete the weapon."

Her hand on Silco's jaw loosens as she lowers the syringe to his left eye. The tears don't fall as she continues to sob. Her hand is completely steady as she pushes the trigger injecting the Shimmer into Silco's eye.

Silco groans and shakes his head to deter the effects. The door to his office slams shut as Jinx flees the room. Silco relaxes in his chair wiping the sweat from his forehead.