ELEVEN

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

In the library of Kunugigaoka main campus were six students of class 3-E studying.

Kanzaki, Nagisa, Kaede, Isogai, Nakamura, and Okuda.

"Well, look at that. It's the E Class crew." a student named Araki says.

Three other students stood behind him as he spoke "Why even bother? This place is wasted on you. Pearls before swine, as the saying goes."

"Ugh. Don't tell me." Nakamura groans.

"The Big Five." Kaede whispers. 

"How cute. They're studying. Hey, scrubs, playtime's over. The big kids need their spot." Seo, one of the students behind Araki.

"Hey! Do you mind! We're trying to fill out heads with knowledge!" Kaede yells as she lifts a book she was reading, then it falls revealing that she was reading a sweets magazine.

"Um, Kayano." Nagisa says as he looks to his friend sweat dropping.

"We're not going anywhere. We reserved these seats in advance." Sugino states.

"Ah. Yeah. You don't know what it is to study in air-conditioning till you don't have it. Move along, please." Nakamura sasses.

"Well, what do we have here, fellas? Are the hard-luck cases defying their betters now? I mean, I knew they were stupid, but this is a new low." Koyama pushes up his glasses.

Okuda stands up "Hey! He said these were ours!"

"What?!" Koyama got in her face.

"You're not the only ones allowed to have good grades! Everyone has a right to them if they work hard. Try bossing us around when we kick your butts in the finals."

"You sure have gall talkin' like that to me, you little twerp! And nice glasses, by the way, they make you look like a total nerd! Ha! Am I right?" Koyama turns to Araki for confirmation.

"Uh. I guess?"

"Don't be so quick to judge." Sakakibara says as he fondles a piece of Kanzaki's hair between his fingers "Oh, my, pearls before swine, indeed. Hey there. Something tells me you're the sort of woman who gets her thrills from a sonnet. You make me wonder if my standards aren't too high."

"Um. Could you get out of my ear, please?" Kanzaki says.

"Wait a minute. I know who these kids are. Yukiko Kanzaki, ranked 23rd in Japanese. Rio Nakamura, ranked 11th in English. Yuma Isogai, ranked 14th in Social Studies. Manami Okuda, 17th in Science."

"Turns out these aren't your average everyday dumbasses." Koyama smacks Okuda on the head "They actually have some academic chops!"

"Is that a fact? How interesting." Araki walks over to the table "Well, as long as we're all here, why not make it even more interesting and wager those chops against stakes higher than bragging rights. Whoever scores lower has to do what the other class says. Sound fun?"