Chapter 43 A warm life. A warm person.

After school

Rock, paper, scissors, and these will be our teams! ( tohru sits out and keeps score so it's even teams.) How'd I get roped in? And why badminton? Kyo asks. Real men don't complain when they're asked to play sports. You're not the one who's gotta play the game wearing a mask. Uo says. No one's making you play! You could easily switch with tohru and take score. Kyo says. I don't really know why we're in groups. Or the rules. Yuki says. Easy. do whatever you want. Uo says. Uh. Yuki says, confused. Just hit the birdy with your with your racket to the other side. It's basically like ping pong but you move around more. Star says, putting her hand on Yuki's shoulder. There are no rules required for badminton. You serve with every ounce of strength, and then you return with every ounce of strength. Let's put it this way: the first one to collapse loses. Hana says. I like this. It's simple. Haru says. Mh-hm. Mh-hm. Uo nodded her head. That sounds too easy!  Kyo says. Oh, shut up already. Just make sure you protect your side of the court. Uo says pointing to the other side of the court. That's it? Yuki says, looking off to the side. This is our game, prince. Time to take out carrots over there. Uo says pointing at kyo. You think you're so tough! Kyo shouts. Whaddaya say? Shall we? Star asks, giving Yuki a closed eye smile. Yuki just stares at her with a small blush. Ready, go! They all say. Then someone serves the birdy.

At the main astate

So, star is ugly, apparently. Or at least, someone thinks so. Shigure says.

In the car

She's absurdly ugly. So plain. She even has an hourglass shape ugh gross she isn't even skinny. She seems stpuid, too. She literally glared at me thinking I didn't see. I've nothing to fear from a pathetic girl like that.  Before long, Yuki will come crawling back, begging forgiveness. After all, the boy is still afraid of me.  And that proves he can't forget about me, doesn't it? Akito says.

Back to shigure and hatori

He was there so long. Locked in that dark room. Akito put him through so much torture. Shigure says

Flashback

Get me out. Please, get me out. Yuki asks, holding to shigure's sleeve looking down at the ground.

Back to the present

I guess something like that's hard to forget. Shigure says. Yes. but Akito doesn't understand. Just as there are people who inflict pain, there are those who try to soothe that pain, in themselves and others alike. That gives people courage, if nothing else.hatori says.  And aside from that, star is adorable. Honestly, it's impossible not to love her. Shigure says. That sounds criminal coming from you. Hatori says

Back with the teens.

I yearned for so much. I wanted so many things. Parents who would hug me. A home i'd want to return to. A place where everyone smiled. To be someone people wouldn't leave behind. Warmth. Yuki looks over at star who's getting ready to hit the birdy. A warm life. A warm person. Star smiles as she got the birdy and her hair flys softly. Yuki smiles with a small blush on his face. They exist. Yuki hits the birdry. They're real. He says.

Time skipping to the evening.

The sun is setting already? I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. See you tomorrow, star. Until then. Hana says as tohru and uo follow her. How come we're dying... an she's okay? Kyo asks panting. Well, we should head home, too. Haru walks up and pets momiji's head then looks at yuki. I was worried at first... but yuki seems fine. To me, at least. Thank you for everything. Haru says thanking star. Star looks over at yuki. Mom, I met the head of the Soma family today.  Unexpectedly. There was something about him. He struck me as a very unusual person. I can't help but wonder if he's a member of the zodiac, too. And which one. To be honest with you, I actually felt a little scared of him. Star says in her mind as the events of the day played through her head. I guess we can't stay here. It's getting pretty late. Shall we? Yuki asks. Star smiles. Yeah, let's go. She says holding her hand out to Yuki smiling. But after spending so much time with my friends, that fear feels worlds away. Like i'll never feel it again.