Chained to the past!

Start from the beginning

"I would like to make a question if that's ok Mister Hiroto-ya. Is there someone else who borrows so many books as me on this Island? Probably a teenager too of male gender."

"I don't think so... I mean I would remember him. It is not like there are many who like reading books on this Island! If you are seeking for a specific name you can always search on the general borrowing list I keep. It contains the name, the date and the books' titles they borrowed." he explained and gave a leather black notebook at Law.

The boy placed the cups of coffee on a nearby desk and sat on the chair, taking a look at the notebook having an intense inner debate whether he should open it or not.

He tried to convince himself that he was doing it for Elga but honestly, this excuse didn't work on him that good. Deep inside he knew his pride was wounded. If the girl eventually discover this mysterious boy of her past, Law won't be her number one choice as she will find comfort on his rival's side.

However, he wanted to know.

He wanted to know what better had this boy from him just to prove his ego that the girl would never find someone greater than him in her whole life.

And so he opened the notebook on the last marked page and he searched firstly for the said brunette's name.

His eyes fell on different names, though the most books were borrowed by himself, when his index finger that followed the page's stripes stopped above a scrawled one with a familiar messy handwriting. He was curious to see the type of books Elga chose to read. He considered it a good opportunity to learn her favorite genre and maybe open a conversation later on their break while drinking coffee and eating those cookies. That would lighten her mood for sure and maybe took a step forward on the path of winning her heart back.

*We will see if she still thinks of the other boy after that!*, a smirk took place on his lips already preparing his know-it-all attitude and turned his focus on the books' titles.

'Modern Methods of brain surgery.'

*Ahh I didn't know she was into neurosurgery! Well, that's interesting! It even suits her ability... Maybe I should borrow too some neurosurgery books so as I can refresh my knowledge on this internship and teach her one or two tricks! This will surprise her!*

He continued on the next book with the title 'Ten suspects for death.'

He couldn't help but sweat drop on this one, thinking he should keep a close eye on her with the latest murder case. Though he wasn't at least surprised to find a mystery book on her list.

The last one was something he never imagined he would see.

'The History of White Town: Flevance.'

His stormy eyes widened and his face got pale like he saw a ghost that came back from his past to hunt him down again. He wasn't a man who believe in coincidences so how was Elga connected with Flevance? Did she learn about him but from whom? The only ones who knew about his sad past was Mr. Junk, Bepo, Penguin and Shachi and they had promised him with their lives they would never reveal this part of his past and he trusted them.

So if the girl didn't search about Flevance because of him... does it has to do with her own past? Is she a survivor too? He doesn't remember seeing her around on Flevance back then and neither went together at school. Also she doesn't seem to be sick with Amber lead syndrome or else her skin would be patchy at this age with white spots.

He thought it would be better to calm himself and not run into conclusions. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask her himself later and there is always this 1% that the girl was just interested on learning more about Flevance's history only for medical reasons, right?