Chapter 7 | Seize The Day

Depuis le début

But he overhears something that brings his attention right back to where it just was.

"Don't make the mistake I did," he hears Jack advise Race. "I made the mistake of thinking one little misunderstanding, one conflict, would ruin everything, and that it meant the end of it all."

He's talking about us.

That realization hits David like a train. They did end on a misunderstanding. Because neither knew how to take the first step to try and fix it before it grew out of hand.

And once it did grow out of hand, they never saw each other again.

Until now, at least.

"So don't go and do that, you hear?" Jack tells Race. "Work together. I know you two will be able to work it out. Things'll get better, I promise."

Race hugs Jack. "Thanks, Jack."

Jack wraps his arms around Race. "Of course."

Maybe you'll have better luck with Spot than I did.

And maybe you and Spot will become what Davey and I never could.

Not that Jack can ever say that out loud.

They break apart.

And now is time to address a more pressing matter.

"So ... Jack?" Blink asks, Mush's arm around his waist. "What do we do now that we know that we won't have Spot?"

Jack sighs. "I don't know."

"Hey Jack, maybe we ease off a bit," Skittery suggests. "Forget about it for a few days."

That gets a couple of nods.

"You all really think that's a good idea?" Jack asks hoping that's not the case.

"Without Spot ... there's not enough of us, Jack," Mush reasons ruefully. It is true.

There are more voices of agreement.

Jack can't believe this. 

"Hey listen!" He shouts so everyone can hear. "Spot was right! Is this just a game to you all?"

No one answers.

So, it looks like they're giving up.

"Hey, Crutchy," Jack murmurs.

"Hiya, Jack."

No one is doing much of anything right now.

David doesn't believe this. This can not be the energetic people who were running through the streets yesterday without a care in the world. This can not be the group of people who shouted The World will know! as a battle cry. They can't give up this easily.

All they need is a little motivation.

And David is going to give it to them.

He wanders through the crowd of newsies. "Open the gates and seize the day..." He murmurs. He continues getting louder. "Don't be afraid and don't delay. Nothing can break us, no one can make us, give our rights away." He stops walking, right in front of everyone. "Arise and seize the day!"

That gets them all in action. Now is his turn to inspire them.

"Now is the time to seize the day!" 

"Now is the time to seize the day!" the newsies repeat excitedly.

"Send out the call and join the fray!"