Chapter 16

You stared up at the cave ceiling above you. True to her word, Soroka's magic had sheltered you from the weight of your magic. Now that you were no longer in the void it sat like an anvil on your chest, your mind racing as it attempted to catch up. It felt like an angry whirlwind, pulling on your heightened emotions like they were a thread that could unravel your entire being.

You took a shuddering breath, your body feeling like it was on fire once more as your injuries came back full force, the Shimmer churning in your veins. You pushed yourself up into a seated position on shaky arms, your vision swimming as the toll of the last few hours pressed down on you. You needed to find Viktor, you needed to make sure he was alive, to make sure you weren't about to lose your mind more than you already had.

You pressed your palms against your eyes, trying to get them to focus. Blinking rapidly, you were relieved to find that while the world still seemed to be spinning, you could make out the shape of Viktor, slouched on the bench.

Your breath caught in your throat, a whimper escaping you as you got to your feet. You stumbled, unable to figure out how to get everything to stop spinning. There were no more apparitions of yourself, and you didn't feel like you were about to tear the world to pieces. Although you could still feel the power of the Hexcore deep within you, waiting, watching, for any chance to break loose. It was like a foreign object in your chest and you had to fight against your body's natural instinct to let it out.

You all but crawled over to Viktor, needing to hold the ground for support. You kneeled in front of him, having only been in that position moments ago, watching as the life drained out of his body.

"Viktor," Tears streamed down your cheeks, you weren't sure how you kept producing them, but they were warm and wet against your skin, "Please wake up."

Your hand shook as you reached towards him, gently placing it against his cheek. The cool metal of his neck sparked against your fingertips, but his cheeks were still warm. His breath was light against your wrist, you thought you may have imagined it, but as you put your other hand on his chest you let out a sob of relief. You could feel his chest rise and fall, he was breathing again.

You wrapped your arms around his waist, pulling yourself until you were surrounded by his familiar scent. The tears still falling down your cheeks dripped onto his lap, your face pressed up against the now cool metal of his torso. You didn't think you'd ever let go.

It was with a start that you realized that the world had stopped spinning, your grip on Viktor stabilizing your sense of direction. You don't know why but Soraka was right, everything was clearer when you were with him.

You almost jumped back when you felt a slender hand rest on your head, gently brushing through your tangled hair. You looked up, blinking through the tears, your lips quivering as you stared into Viktor's sharp amber eyes. You'd never seen anything more beautiful than him, alive in the moment.

He gave you a weak smile, "Told you I wouldn't leave." His voice had become metallic, like it was being filtered through an old speaker, but it was still clearly the same accented voice you loved so much.

You let out a choked laugh, burying your face back in his stomach, "You almost did, I felt it, you were so close to being gone."

Viktor was silent for a moment, his hand never leaving your head, "What happened?"

You sniffled, your leg had started to ache in the crouched position, the burns rubbing uncomfortably on the stone floor. You pushed yourself up on the bench to sit beside him, straddling the seat. You winced as you reopened fresh wounds.

"Careful, Mila," He said, grabbing your uninjured arm to help you up, looking you over with fresh eyes as he did. You looked down at yourself, remembering how different you now looked. The pink shimmer made your angry red wounds look worse.