Chapter 4

You startled awake, once again covered in a cold sheen of sweat. You heard birds chirping outside your windows and looking over you saw the sun rising over the horizon, signaling the start of a new day. You groaned and rolled over, flipping your pillow on top of your head. You must have slept well over twelve hours and somehow you were still exhausted. Granted, your sleep hadn't exactly been restful. While you couldn't remember the contents of your dreams, you were sure that they were similarly hectic to the dream you had had yesterday.

Huffing to yourself, you got out of bed and headed to the bathroom, hoping to wash away some of the exhaustion that had settled in your bones. Your shower left you feeling refreshed, the bags under your eyes still broadcasting to everyone that you hadn't slept well, but there wasn't much you could do about that for now. You grabbed one of the bars that had been in the box yesterday and silently ate it as you looked out the window, watching people chatting and laughing as they walked through the courtyard below. You stifled a laugh when you watched someone so absorbed in reading the book in their hands that they didn't see the pole in front of them, running headfirst into it. You felt a little guilty for laughing as they walked away rubbing their head, but you couldn't help yourself, slapstick was a whole genre of comedy for a reason.

You looked at the clock, squinting at it as if that would reveal the secrets to its confusingly scribbled numbers. You were unsuccessful in your endeavor and decided you were going to head towards the lab and hope for the best, if you were early you could wait outside, if you were late you hoped that they would forgive you, they hadn't specified a time anyways.

You smiled politely at the people you passed on the way there, scanning them for anyone with pink hair. That girl had to be important, you weren't sure if she was the kid from the docks, but the gauntlets she was wearing looked vaguely like they contained blue light similar to that of the Gemstones. She had to be connected to Hextech at some point, though Viktor did not know anyone matching that description, maybe Jayce did. How you were supposed to ask if he knew a pink-haired, tattooed girl, in casual conversation was beyond you at the moment, but you hoped you had time to figure it out.

You arrived at the lab and knocked on the door

"Come in." Came Viktor's voice from inside. You opened the door to find Jayce, Viktor, and Sky already there, each at their own desk, hard at work.

"Sorry I'm late," You said, smiling sheepishly, nervousness building in your chest, you were still embarrassed about yesterday, "I can't read the numbers on the clock so I gave it my best guess."

"Ah, yes, it makes sense that our numbers would be different as well, we will write them down for you to add to your study." Viktor turned around in his chair to face you. You had no time to thank him or process the way seeing him again made you feel. Instead, you felt that feeling of an explosion in your chest, electricity dancing in the air and kissing your skin with tiny shocks as you were propelled to a different time.

You were still standing where you had just been, but what was once a bright, sunny lab was now shadowed with darkness, the only light source in the room coming from the blue and purple orb on the desk ahead of you. Sitting in front of the desk was a man with his back turned towards you. The back brace that appeared to be melded into his skin threw you off momentarily, but the thin frame and familiar hair made you realize who it was. Viktor, thin and pale like how you'd seen him in your first vision, was hunched over, his breathing rapid as a metal-on-metal scratching noise filled the empty space between you.

Suddenly, the room shifted around you, you wobbled as your balance was thrown off, your brain struggling to understand why the room was moving and you weren't. It spun so you were now standing in front of the desk, much closer now, and able to see Viktor's face. His body was covered in bloody marks, runes you did not recognize, as he used a metal tool to carve more in his leg brace. The look on his face was a mixture of determination and desperation, sending chills down your spine. Viktor placed the tool on the desk and grabbed another, this one was used to inject a shiny purple liquid into his leg. You recognized the liquid but you didn't know how. It was Shimmer, a drug from the Undercity. How Viktor got some you had no idea, but you doubted it was legal.