Just the right sweetness

A/N: HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARU <3<3 she's a badass queen and we love her so much

headcanon that aru is a chocolate lover b/c I am too <3 

favorite type of chocolate? mine's dark hehe 😱✨

ENJOY! 🌷💞 sorry this is so short :(

3rd Birthday.

Aru didn't remember much of her third birthday.

She remembered tiny hands and small legs, her not being able to reach the dining table as she tried to jump and peek at her cake.

Her mom lifted her up and set her on a chair, as Aru's big, chocolatey-brown eyes looked at her chocolate cake, with pink and yellow candles and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARU written with red icing.

"Happy birthday Aru," Her mother whispered, tickling her as Aru giggled. She tried to blow the candles with big huffs of air, but it wouldn't work.

"Do you need help blowing out the candles?" Her mother smiled.

"No! I want to do it on my own!" Aru pouted.

"How about we do it together? On three, two, one--" They blew it out together.

Aru's mom cut the cake, as Aru opened her mouth wide.

Aru ate the cake.

And promptly spit it out.

Aru's mom gasped as she grabbed a bunch of napkins to wipe off the mess.

"What happened?"

"Bleh. It's too sweet mama." Aru whispered, trying to clean the super-sweet chocolate off her tongue.

Aru's mom laughed.

"Okay honey. I'm sorry it's too sweet." Aru's mom twirled her in the air with Aru grinning.

"It's okay mama! As long as I spend my birthday with you!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9th Birthday.

Aru was starting to hate her birthday.

Like seriously? Out of all the days, February 15? The day after Valentine's Day?

Bleh. Disgusting.

None of her classmates wanted to come to her birthday because A, she was "weird because she was and she hates sweet chocolate," and B, her classmates were too busy with young crushes and blushing glances.

Please.

First of all, very sweet chocolate is just not her thing. It's not it. Aru preferred dark-with-a-hint-of sweet-at-the end chocolate, and second, she was not interested in having a crush at 9 years old.

Secondly, her mom, who was supposed to come back today from Paris, wasn't here, and it was 10pm.

Sherrilyn, the head of the museum security, sadly smiled at Aru, and told her to cut the cake.

Her mom would come eventually.

As Sherrilyn wished her a happy birthday, Aru wished her mom had come a bit sooner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aru heard the door to her room open around 11pm, and quickly wiped her tears staining her skin as pretended to be asleep.

Her mother sat down next to her.

"I'm so so sorry Aru," she whispered, and Aru felt salty tears on her shirt.

"I hope one day you'll forgive me." Her mother brushed wisps of her chocolate-brown hair, as she kissed her cheek. Aru heard a plate being put down on her messy, paint-stained desk, and the door closing, as her mother walked away.

Aru sat up and looked at the chocolate macaron, and swiped it off the plate.

She bit it.

Still too sweet, but Aru ate it anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12th Birthday.

She got a new pair of shoes.

Her old pair was ripped and torn, so her mother finally got her some new ones.

Teal and yellow sneakers with stars.

Her mother told her to shine like those stars did, and Aru vowed to one day, do so.

She vowed to make a difference in the ink-black sky.

For now though, she vowed to study for her upcoming biology test.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14th Birthday.

It was one of the first birthday's she had with friends.

Mini, Brynne, Hira.

They stayed up laughing and sharing secrets, and Aru had never felt happier.

Plus, the fact that she and Aiden had spent 5 minutes together helped.

Plus, her cake was much better! The icing was still too sweet with the semi-sweet chocolate, but it had improved so much more.

Maybe next year it'll be perfect.

She smiled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15th Birthday.

She was angry.

How was it supposed to turn out like this?

She had imagined her birthday would be awesome, and Aiden would finally talk to her and they'd become friends again and the Potatoes wouldn't have a super-duper-awkward dynamic.

Nope.

Instead, she snooped on Kara and Aiden, and overheard Kara confessing to Aiden, and Aiden catching her and ignoring her, leading to her getting angry.

Her eyes probably looked like burnt wood, but she was furious.

She didn't ask for a bittersweet birthday!

Aiden looked at her wide-eyed.

With his dark-chocolate curls of hair, his dark eyes with hints of stars, his milk-chocolate skin.

He kissed her.

It had the right amount of sweetness.

It was just right.