"I'm sorry."

    "It wasn't me who died. I didn't lose anyone. I'm just . . . sick of it. I'm sick of it all." Enid just nods and I'm glad she understands it.

Enid and I spend the next couple of hours together, talking and sharing the pickles we took from the pantry before Scott comes to the base of the watch tower and shouts up to us. "Maggie's looking for you two! She told me to call for you guys!"

    "Is she still home?" I shout over the ledge.

    "Yup."

    "Okay. Thanks!" I look to Enid who's already ready to go down the ladder. I follow behind her before we hit the ground and start for Maggie's. Scott climbs into the guard post once we leave.

    When we reach Maggie's house, I lead Enid to the side door. Enid stands on the step outside, knocking on the glass panel. I see Maggie inside, sitting at the table, appearing to be thinking deeply about something. I have a feeling part of it, at least, has to do with Glenn. Once she hears the knocking, she stands up and comes to the door, grinning. "Scott said you were looking for us?" Enid asks. "What's up?"

    "I need some more help," Maggie responds, looking between the two of us. She stands to the side, motioning for us both to walk inside. Enid goes ahead of me. Once we're both inside, Maggie shuts the door.

    "What'd you need us for?" I inquire, looking around the house. I haven't been in here for a while, but it's been decorated nicely. Maggie walks over to the table sheepishly, pushing a pair of scissors, a comb, and a little mirror across the wooden surface.

    "I was actually wondering if you could help me with my hair."

    "You want us to cut it?" Enid asks, stepping forward and holding the scissors in her hands. Maggie nods.

    "Either one of you is fine. Or both."

    "Enid can do it. She'll be way better." Enid doesn't argue which makes me want to laugh. Even she knows I wouldn't do a very good job.

    "I'll do it," Enid agrees. Maggie smiles.

    "Thank you." She sits down in one of the chairs at the table, pulling out her hair tie and letting her dark hair fall over her shoulders. It's not very long as it is now, so I'm wondering how much she's expecting Enid to cut. I sit down in the chair across from Maggie as Enid carefully combs through her waves. "I want it short."

    "How short do-" Enid starts, but Maggie cuts her off.

    "Don't worry about. Just do what you think will look nice." I can see the hesitation in Enid's eyes as she's given this direction, but she grips the scissors tightly and begins cutting away the brown strands.

    Before too long, Maggie's hair has been cut short. One of her bangs remains a little longer, but the hair in the back doesn't fall past the base of her neck. Enid sets the scissors back onto the table as Maggie lifts the mirror to look at her reflection. I can see her lips forming a smile as she looks at herself, fluffing and rearranging her hair with her hand. "I like it," Enid says.

    "Me too."

    "But why?" Maggie's hand drops onto her lap before she sighs deeply, peeling her eyes from the mirror to look at us.

    "I have to keep going," she replies simply. "And I don't want anything getting in my way."

    "It looks great on you," I say. The change is drastic, but it's fitting on her. Maggie glances back at the mirror, turning her head to the side a few more times to look at her new style from different angles before she exhales sharply, her head moving down in a near wince.