.017

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

With everyone besides me, Carl, Tyreese, and Judith gone, the church is quiet. It's almost an eerie thing and part of me doesn't particularly like it. Back in the house on Clove Street, the silence had been just as eerie. After getting back with a big group again, not having constant conversation and company is odd and almost unsettling.

There isn't anything to do. I find myself immediately bored. I could probably take a nap, but I don't want to fall asleep right now. If Rick's instincts are right and there are others waiting for us to be alone, I need to be ready. We all do. There's hardly time for sleep, anyways, and I think it's about time I come to terms with with such things.

Carl stands up and starts looking around for something to do. Tyreese is sorting through his pack. I would try to entertain Judith, as it would also give me something to do, but she's fast asleep. I pick up her basket and set it in the aisle so that she's visible before going off to my own backpack. I open it up and take out one of the books I had kept with me. It's seems interesting enough. I open the cover and flip to the first page, scanning the words as I go.

"What are you reading?" Carl asks from beside me. I hadn't noticed him walking over since I had been in such deep thought, something that's surprising to me because I can usually never seem to focus anymore.

"Little Women." It's a classic piece of literature, you know." He drops down onto the bench again.

"Is it good?"

"Sure." I look up from the page I'm on and into his eyes. "What?"

Carl shakes his head. "Nothing. I don't know. Maybe you could read it to me." I put a smirk on my lips.

"You want me to read you Little Women?" I as sarcastically before I can't help but laugh. He raises his palms in the air.

"Hey, I'm extremely bored!"

"Fine. I'll read my book to you," I reply smartly. "You just have to promise to be quiet."

"Sounds good." I find my place back on the page I was on and keep reading, but this time, aloud. The only problem is that I only get a sentence out before Carl stops me. "You have to start over. I don't know what's going on." I roll my eyes, but flip back to the first page and start again. I can't help but let a smile spread onto my lips.

We read the first two chapters without a problem. Twice, I catch him looking at me instead of the pages like I think he should be. I don't know why, but I think I blush a little. When I'm sick of reading, I close the book and place it back into my bag. "That's it?" Carl protests. I roll my eyes again.