.021

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Morning comes with a hastily prepared breakfast of more canned goods. I notice our thinning supply, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. If all goes well in Atlanta, we'll be moving on soon. Plus, with Daryl back, I'm sure he'd be happy to go hunting for some fresh meat when he returns.

Through our meal, Rick creates a plan. Most of it includes fortifying the church. After a quick scan around the measly amount of tools we have available to do that, it's decided that we need to be resourceful and use whatever we can around us. When that thought is explained to Gabriel, he is not very excited to discover we'll be using the pews and organ pipes as part of our materials.

Sasha is the one who volunteers to take down a pew with an axe. The boards of wood taken from that will be used to cover the windows. Tyreese and Daryl dismantle the organ while Michonne, Rick, Carl, Noah, and I work on covering the windows with the wooden slats. We don't have any hammers, so we end up using candle holders and any other odds and ends we can find.

Noah brings out another stack of boards from Sasha. I can hear the splitting wood from inside sound off with her grunts each time she forces the axe onto the pew. I know why she volunteered to do that job. I think everybody does.

Noah gives Michonne and Rick a few boards so that they can finish working on their window before bringing the remaining ones over to Carl and me. "Thank you," I say as he sets everything down.

"Yep," Noah replies as he grabs a candle holder and a nail. He hands the nail to Carl, who begins to hammer it into the wall with a chair leg. Carl hands me his makeshift tool so that I can hammer a nail into the wood on the other end.

I look at Carl, who's still as serious as can be. He thinks he's going to Atlanta. He hasn't told me that yet, but I know that's what he's thinking. He's just like his father in so many ways, but I don't think he always realizes it.

Once we run out of boards beside us, I volunteer to get the next load. I walk into the church and take what I can hold from the pile that Sasha has crafted against the wall. I'm cautious to not touch any nails she might've missed when tearing the benches apart as I take the wood into my arms.

Daryl comes in with Tyreese and they take down the next few pipes. I follow Daryl outside when he takes the metal tubes and starts arranging them around the stairs. I notice Gabriel has come back to witness our work. He stands off to the side, biting his nails anxiously. "Well, are you going to take the cross, too?" he asks, almost angrily.