𝟏𝟔. those who came before

Start from the beginning

"The safest route would be to take the Gap of Rohan," Boromir said, following the road on the map from Rivendell to Rohan with his fingers. "Then make west for my city. We can rest there, strike at Sauron from a place of strength."

Gandalf took a long drag from his pipe. "Our best chance lies in secrecy. The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard."

A small frown appeared on Boromir's face. He clearly didn't agree but Gandalf's argument was too strong to argue with. They had to avoid the eyes of the White Wizard and his spies. Elgarain didn't blame him. Part of her wished their journey would take them through Lindon. She wished to know her kingdom was safe and her people protected. But she also knew thinking of home would distract them from the true purpose of their quest. The only way to truly protect their lands was to leave them behind and set out towards Mordor.

"If we're putting our hope in secrecy we should take the Mines of Moria," Gimli spoke up. "Underground we're out of sight from unfriendly eyes."

Her skin crawled in discomfort at the mere thought of having to walk in the darkness beneath the mountain, without the sky above her...But that was not the only reason Elgarain feared going into those mines. No one heard from the Dwarves of Moria for a long time. She wasn't even sure anyone knew if they were still alive. She admired Gimli for having hope that they were but she wasn't willing to risk the fate of this quest on the optimism of one person. And it seemed like she wasn't the only one.

"But Moria will put us in sight of other things," Legolas spoke, his gaze dark as he eyed the Dwarf. "We should avoid those mines."

Aragorn sighed, as if he'd been hoping to avoid this very argument. He placed his hands on the table as he studied the map. "That leaves the Pass of Caradhras."

Gimli choked on the pipe he'd been smoking, coughing loudly. When he finally caught his breath, he managed to spit: "That Mountain is evil. My kin have named it The Cruel for the many lives we lost in its blizzards."

"Aragorn is right," Gandalf said, his voice stern. "We must take the Pass of Caradhras."

Gyda spoke up from beside her. "We can make camp at Hollin Ridge, it marks the northern border of the lost Elven Kingdom of Eregion. We'll be protected from wandering eyes there before we make for the mountains." She turned to face Elgarain, clearly waiting for her opinion.

The Queen of Lindon didn't think her opinion was that valuable. After all, she'd never traveled that far south. Though, as she studied the map, it seemed to her like there only was one choice. And so, she nodded. "It seems like the safest option."

Gimli scoffed. "Safe? That mountain will end us all."

"I'd rather trudge through the snow than face the darkness of those mines," Elgarain said, trying her hardest to sound calm but her voice trembled with held back frustration anyway. She realized she was still carrying a certain amount of anger towards the Dwarf for his comments on her rule during the council yesterday. She also realized it was vital for her to set those feelings aside for the sake of this quest, but so far she hadn't quite managed to do so.

"There has been no word from the dwarves of Moira for ages, whatever we may find may put us all in danger. We cannot risk the Ring falling in the wrong hands." Gyda added, as if sensing Elgarain's dented pride.

The dwarf narrowed his beady eyes as he regarded the elves. "No one can defeat us in our own mines."

"Your people once lost Erebor, who's to say Moira has not met a similar fate?" Gyda spat, and Elgarain winced internally at her harsh choice of words.

"Enough," Gandalf spoke, he barely had to raise his voice and yet it seemed to cut through the air like a sword. "If we bicker amongst ourselves, the quest has already failed."