[12.1] subaru sakamaki | gentle

╭──────༺♡༻──────╮

subaru sakamaki x male! mortal! reader

summary: gentle is a foreign word to subaru, but he's a gentle boy.

category: fluff

warning(s): hemophilia(?), anemia(?), blood, biting, hickey(?), syringe (for prescribed medication)--i have no medical knowledge
originally a oneshot but two more parts planned

word count: 2728

key:

italicized - flashback of christa's (subaru's mother's) words

╰──────༺♡༻──────╯

subaru sakamaki's mother wasn't present for much of his childhood, and the few memories he has of her are tainted by her often erratic state.

although he knows his mother wasn't stable and would be considered by most as abusive, she was important to him, and he took everything she said to heart.

"filthy"

"dirty"

"monster"

"something on your mind?" a gentle voice asks subaru. he feels nimble fingers gently wrap around his right hand, which is tightly gripping onto a pencil. it's on the verge of breaking, and that would've been his fifth pencil gone this week if the stranger hadn't intervened.

"gentle..."

subaru responds to the foreign word by abruptly pushing the stranger against the closest wall, his powers adding to his swiftness.

"agh--" the stranger, who turns out to be a boy who looks around subaru's age, grunts as his body slams into the wall. "sorry, you just looked like you were about to break your pen--"

subaru punches the wall next to the boy's head with his free hand.

"i'm sorry!" the boy flinches hard, squeezing his eyes shut tight.

"gentle!"

subaru releases his grip and lets the boy fall to the ground.

he picks up his pencil and is about to leave when the stranger's voice stops him.

"hey, i'm really sorry about interrupting you. it was my bad to sneak up on you like that," the clueless idiot says sheepishly.

subaru only scoffs before taking his leave.

"they're so pretty, aren't they, subaru?

if you provide the special care they need, they'll flourish and stay beautiful forever.

but just one mistake, and their pretty petals will wilt away and perish."

subaru becomes consciously aware of one of his classmates. he's never bothered to pay attention before, but it's as if this guy's presence demands subaru's interest. it was the way that he so swiftly changed from being terrified of subaru's violent demeanor to brushing it off as a natural reaction to being caught off guard. is he really that naive? what's wrong with him?