Our laughter settled as we began munching on our food. "You'll see Lilith again soon. She is so nosy, I doubt I'll last more than a few days sneaking around to see you," he snorted, tossing a dry in his mouth carelessly. His whole nature was carefree, lively, and happy. I couldn't help but think that I would've been like this if it wasn't for the rouges who tried to take my life. But at the same time, I was just glad to have him back in my life. I never realized how much I yearned for him until this moment.

We spent the rest of the dinner talking as if we had never been apart before. It felt like an instant best friend. And instant connection.

"So when is your coronation to become Alpha?" I asked, sipping the last of my shake.

"It's the week after our birthday, so December 26th!" He announced, making me realize I didn't even know our birthday. Was it really only a few weeks from now?

"Uh, when exactly is our birthday?" I felt embarrassed to ask such a trivial question, but I was also excited to finally have that knowledge.

His smile faltered for a moment. "December 19th! You were born at 11:36 am and I was born at 11:45am. So you are technically my older brother!" I smiled at his enthusiasm. I guess I have a younger brother now, though he felt a lot more knowledgeable than me.

"Are you excited to find your mate?" I don't know why I asked that, but it felt very natural to talk about this personal stuff with him.

He threw a dry at me, which I caught in my mouth. "Of course I am! Whoever he is, he will be a perfect Luna!" I was taken aback by the use of male pronouns.

"He? Are you sure it's a guy?" It didn't mean to come out sounding rude, but he looked offended.

"Oh, um I'm gay so I just assumed," he mumbled, his bubbly personality dimmed. I probably sounded homophobic.

"The beta of my pack hopes we are mates. I think he might be in love with me. But I don't think he's my mate," I confessed, making him perk up again.

"Oh really? Why don't you think he's your mate?" Xander propped his head up using his elbows on the table, suddenly fascinated.

For some reason I felt like I could tell Xander all my secrets. I felt so comfortable. "We have casual sex, and I listen to all his problems. But I don't feel the spark like he does," I sighed. "I felt a spark with this omega in my pack, but it feels more of a need to protect him now. Not like a mating bond."

He looked at me questioningly. "That's weird. I'm sure everything will make sense once we turn 18," he reassured, patting me on the back. He looked down at the clock, and that's when I noticed it was almost 9. We had been in the same booth for almost 3 hours, yet it only felt like minutes.

"I better get back, Luna will worry soon." I give him a sad smile before I frowned in realization. "What happened to mom? I saw her run away with you..."

Xander paused, realizing my words. "She got me back to the pack house, but it wasn't long until she died of grief of watching her mate die," he explained, seemingly well adjusted to her death. I figured she was dead because of the way he talked about her. He suddenly grasped my hand. "She loved us. She made sure to remind me of that before she passed." His words hurt, but we're reassuring.

Xander stood up and walked with me to my car. He gave me a final hug before walking off. We had gotten each other's phone numbers so we could talk whoever we wanted. I drove away from that diner feeling... whole again.

...

"You still worry me," Weston complained as we walked around the training omegas together. It felt unnatural keeping such a big secret from him, and he always knew something was up.