10

The walk down the staircase was more daunting than usual. I caught myself pacing back and forth at the foot of the stairs, looking at my reflection in the hall mirror. I thought about not going to dinner at all. I thought about staying locked in my room all night. But my curiosity is what pushed my bedroom door open and what led me down the stairs.

Soft piano notes fill the quiet house. I hear the soft sound of forks scraping against plates, which only causes my anxiety more over the edge. I took one last hard glance at my reflection before putting one foot in front of the other.

I kept my eyes glued to my boots as I stumbled into the room. "Sorry I'm late, I got caught up." I sighed under my breath. I hear a few people clear their throats. I look up, catching my brother's harsh glare.

I slid into the seat next to him, setting a napkin down in my lap. The chili Zayn had prepared was sitting in one of our most expensive fine china sets. The finest dishes meant Kein was trying to impress our guests. Which meant the intimidating mystery man was sitting somewhere on the other side of the table, probably already judging me. I picked up my spoon, dipping it into the chili. It was canned chili, in a fine china bowl.

Oh the irony.

"Grace." Kein's voice booms through the room, knocking me out of my thoughts. I give him a quick glance, he ushers his head towards the opposite direction of the table. "It's rude not to address our guests. Please get up and try that again."

I rolled my eyes, pushing the chair out from under me. "Oh course, how rude of me." I mocked him. He squinted at me, ushering me out of my chair. I bit my lip and turned around, finally facing the other side of the table.

There he was in all his glory. His legs spread wide as he leaned back against the chair. A smirk plastered across his god given face. I shifted awkwardly on my feet when I stopped in front of him. He didn't say anything, the look on his face said enough. He was judging me. Those green eyes waiting for me to introduce myself, as if he didn't already know my name.

I cleared my throat again, reaching my hand out towards him. "I'm Grace, it's nice to meet you." I said, leaving my open hand out in front of him.

He reaches up, interlacing his hand with mine before he says, "Harry."

I pull my hand back almost immediately, letting it drop against my thigh. I whipped my head in the direction of my brother. "You let him in our camp! Are you actually fucking insane." I cussed at him.

Kein's eyebrows furrow. Everyone falls even quieter than before, as If that was even humanly possible. Kein runs his hands through his hair, taking a long dramatic breath.

"Have a seat." Kein replies slowly.

I took a step back, balling my fists up in frustration, "No I'm not gonna sit down. His people killed Jack, not to mention countless other people in our camp. What the fuck are you thinking? Why are we even in the same room as this man? He's a psychopath."

I hear Harry choke on his drink behind me. I turn back to look at him, watching him wipe his rosy pink lips. "Never been called a psychopath before." He shrugs.

I roll my tongue across my cheek. He tilted his head to the side. "You're a sick prick. You know that? You killed so many people and for what? How did any of the shit you pulled that night benefit you?"

He ponders his thoughts for a second before replying. He leans forward, interlacing his hands in his lap, "Two words." He starts, "Collateral damage."

"Fuck you!"

I felt an arm wrap around my waist, pulling me away from him. "Enough, Grace." My brother whispered in my ear.

I squirmed in his arms, the heat from my chest rising to my head. I hate them. I hate them both. My own brother is parading a psychopath around in my home, around people I love.