03

I stared hard at the glow in the dark pasties on my ceiling. The small star shaped objects flickering as the light from my fireplace bounced around. The house was peaceful. No one was awake at this hour. Aside from me.

I exhaled loudly and turned on my side, staring out my open window. I watched the wind blow my beige curtains back and forth. Most nights I don't sleep at all. If i'm lucky i'll get a few hours. My mind is always going a million miles a minute, with hundreds of possibilities and fake scenarios cloud my thoughts.

My bedroom overlooks the large garden I helped grow last summer. It faces the opposite side of the gate so I rarely see people fooling around in their free time. People tend to avoid my house due to my big bad brother that sleeps upstairs. Not that I blame them. He's relentless, making him hard to be around for long periods of time.

My eyes fixate on the row of tomato plants, watching as the wind makes them bob up and down. My stomach growls loudly, causing me to curl up in the fetal position. I can't remember the last time I skipped dinner. But tonight of all nights, I did.

I throw the blanket off my body, sitting up in bed. The cold breeze coming from my window making my legs breakout in goosebumps. I place my feet on the ground. Standing up and walking over to my slippers waiting by the door. One tomato won't hurt right?

I put my slippers on, making sure to throw on a sweater before slowly opening my door. It creaks loudly. I quietly cussed at myself for not just going out the window. But it's too late to turn back now. Sticking my head out, I peered around the corner. The hallway is completely empty. Besides the obvious dirty clothes sprawled out across the floor.

I stepped out of my warm room and started walking through the hallway. The old paintings on the wall shifting as I passed them. The kitchen countertops filled to the brim with Kein's favorite flavors of pies. I rolled my eyes, knowing Taylor made all of these, despite their breakup last week.

I inched up to the back door. The sliding doors showing me a clear view of my target. I turned my head back to make sure I didn't wake anyone before unlocking the lock. The cool breeze flowed into the house as I slid the door open. Stepping outside, I turned back and shut the door quietly.

My reflection in the glass made me jump. I look awful. My hair is in knots from training and I still have a bruise on my face from Manny and I playing sticks & stones last week. I sigh as I run my fingers through my hair. The knots giving me a run for my money.

My eyes unfocus from my reflection for a second. Focusing on a shadow passing in front of the plants. I stop breathing for a second. I furrow my eyebrows and turn around, looking back at the garden. One things certain, It wasn't my shadow.

I step forward, turning my head to look down the row of houses. No one was on the streets, aside from Timmy the neighborhood cat. I smiled as he ran towards me. His short stubby legs, with his tail high up as he waddled to me. He rubbed his soft head against my leg.

Reaching down to pet him, I stopped when I heard a twig snap. My head shot up, peering in the direction of the garden again.

"Who's out there?" I whispered loudly. There was no answer back. Just the sound of the wind blushing up against the leaves on the ground. I reached down and picked timmy up. Scratching behind his ear as I walked over to the garden. Timmy tenses up in my arms. Wiggling, causing me to drop him.

"Timmy what the hell?" I say before he runs off. He doesn't give me another glance, just simply runs towards the house.

"I take it the cat senses danger." A voice says from behind me. I whip my head around, immediately recognizing the accent.