00

6 months ago.

"Grace pass me the pliers would ya?" Manny called from under the hood of the beat up honda civic. The road around us was quiet. You could probably hear a pin drop. The wind blew through my hair as I sat on the trunk of the car. The crickets chirping or doing whatever the hell they do. And the moon being the only source of light on the long winding road in front of me.

pro #1 of the end of the world: silence

"Grace the pliers please." I hear manny call out again. I ignore him, continuing to sway my feet back and forth and soak in the feeling of being completely stranded.

"I swear you must be deaf or something." Manny says coming around the corner of the car stopping in front of me. His long black hair was tied up into a high bun, leaving strands of it to stick to his sweaty forehead. "It wouldn't hurt to listen to me every once and a awhile."

I scoffed and crossed my arms against my chest. "You're the reason we're out here. Stranded might I add."

He gave me a glum look. Placing his hand over his heart acting offended. "Dare I say that you agreed to come with me."

I rolled my eyes at him. Grabbing the tool bag, I pushed it against his chest. "You promised me a cherry coke if I came with, and big shocker you don't have one." I fired at him.

He reaches into the bag with his flash light imbedded in between his teeth. Shuffling through the janky sack until he found what he was looking for.

"I told you I know where to get a cherry coke, not that I had one. Plus you needed to get out of the house. You were driving everyone insane with your mopping." He replied after taking the flashlight out of his mouth.

He walked back to the front of the car. Hearing him hum the rhythm to an old Lady Gaga song as he messed with the engine. "I wasn't mopping." I yelled over to him.

"Ha! Tell that to all the people who requested a room switch." He laughed. My head shot over to look over at him. But he was deep inside the hood of the car. I hopped down off the trunk causing the car to do a small jolt.

"Ow Grace, come on." He groaned pulling his head out from under the hood.

"Sorry. I slipped." I smiled walking over to him. He rubbed his now red forehead, wiping grease all over himself.

"That's homophobia." He shot back. My mouth dropped and I slapped his arm, hard.

"You can't call everything homophobia because you're gay Manny." I said taking the flashlight out of his hand.

"Yes actually I can." He said before backing away from the hood. I stepped in front of him and dipped my head into the car. "It's one of the only perks I have of being gay."

I rolled my eyes and shinned the light on the engine. This beat up honda civic only has a few hundred miles left in her. The battery is starting to decay and the coolant system blew about two months ago. The only thing keeping this car running is the hopes and dreams of a gay boy.

I pulled the long dipstick out of the oil tank. It was dry. Not a single sliver of wetness on it. I rolled my eyes and threw my head back. If we're out of oil we'll be walking home.

"I'm guessing knowing how to properly take care of a car isn't one of your gay perks." I laughed at him. His eyebrows shot up in confusion. I turned to face him with the dipstick still in my hand.

His face lit up in a 'oh' moment. "I knew that. Been meaning to take care of that for a few months now." He bushed it off.

"Really? Then why'd you need the pliers?" I questioned.