Chapter 33 | Who Wants To Go Get Some Ice Cream?

Start from the beginning

As I approach them, they open their arms for me and I smile, giving them a hug.

Chase opens his arms for a hug, and I hug him back, but it's awkward.

Chase and I's friendship is still a little strained, although I'm trying to get it out of the awkward stage. Sierra tells me that Chase is still beating himself up over what he said to me, even more so now that he's heard the full story of what Mason did to me.

I still remember the day after that mock trial and how obvious it was that he was beating himself up. I've fully forgiven him, but he hasn't seemed to forgive himself, and I wish that he just would already.

I miss my best friend.

"Okay dear, it's time. Remember, you know the truth and at the end of the day, they can't take the truth from you." My mom says, giving me an encouraging smile.

I nod and follow Sophie into the courtroom, and up to the table that we sit at during court.

We take our places and there's a soft murmur in the audience until a door is thrown open.

All heads turn as Mason walks in. He's wearing a suit and looks almost bored. The guard behind him directs him to where he's going to stand.

His eyes glance around the room until they land on me and I freeze momentarily.

Mason smirks at me and I see his eyes scan my body before looking into my eyes again. I feel my pulse quicken, but strangely I feel calm.

He can't do anything to me.

He can't take the truth away from me.

This is a fight I'm going to make sure I win.

With that mindset, I send him a smirk of my own and feel satisfied when his drops down into a frown.

Not too long after, the judge walks in.

"All rise." The bailiff says as the judge takes his seat.

Here we go.

Jake's POV

The second that asshole walked in, I wanted to cut his head off. The way he looked at my sister like she was a piece of meat just made me hate him even more.

"Don't cause a scene Jake." Travis mutters.

"You're one to talk Trav." Dwight mutters back.

Travis turns to glare at Dwight and I roll my eyes.

"Both of you quit it, they're starting." I say, my focus going back to Emma.

"We call Emma Richardson to the stand." Mason's deadbeat lawyer says, getting up and walking to the witness stand.

I see my sister walk up to the stand and sit down. From here, I can see her hands shaking.

I wish I could take her place. If only I paid attention that night.

As guilt starts to eat me up again, I try to focus my attention on what's happening rather than my thoughts. Emma needs me right now, not my guilt.

"Please state your full name for the records." Mason's lawyer says.

"Emma Kay Richardson." Em says shakily.

"Okay Emma, so you were the girlfriend to the defendant, correct?"

"Yes."

"You two dated for two years, and were close, correct?" He says.

"Yes."