Chapter 10 | My Life's Over

~
"When thinking about life remember this;
No amount of guilt
can change the past"
~

*Trigger Warning* This chapter deals with topics with abuse. Please read with caution. 

Dwight's POV (after he leaves the cafeteria)

I don't like this guy.

He's here for all but five seconds and is suddenly Emma's new best friend? 

I shake my head in annoyance and push my tray away. Standing up, I walk towards the cafeteria door and head towards the men's locker room, which leads outside.

I'm not one for anger, it brings up too many painful memories, but sometimes my temper just gets the best of me. The best thing for me to do when that happens is to just leave and take the time to calm down.

I know that rationally, there's no need to be that upset. But, my anger doesn't rationalize. 

Walking outside, I head towards the football field. Football has always been there, despite everything else going on in my life.

It started from little league and then continued on till now, and I plan to continue playing in college, hopefully through a scholarship, and then one day play in the NFL. 

As I sit on the bleachers, I hear someone. Turning my head, I see Travis coming up.

"Hey man." He says, looking out the field as he sits down.

"You didn't have to follow me." I tell him, sighing. 

"I know how you get, you shouldn't be alone." He says, shrugging.

I don't say anything, just focusing my attention on the field goal post.

"I'm fine Travis."

"Don't lie to me." Travis says.

And that's why I try to avoid conversations like this with Travis. He knows me way too much.

Much like someone else I know. 

I give him a side glance and he also turns to me raising an eyebrow. I just roll my eyes and look away again.

"Are you threatened by Alex?" He asks me.

"No, why would I be threatened by someone like that?"

"Because you act like it?" He says, and I roll my eyes. 

"He's just always around and it's annoying the crap out of me. We were just fine without him. She was just fine without him." I practically spit out. 

"You know she's not replacing you right?" He says after a few minutes of silence.

It sure feels like it.

"I know...I just don't trust him." 

"But she does and that's what matters. She's been through hell and back, yet still finds the good in people. Why shouldn't we?"

I sigh, but I don't say anything.

I know that Emma is smart, but sometimes people aren't who we think they are. Mason was a perfect example of this. We all trusted him, hell we were even best friends with him. But eventually he showed his true colors and a lot of people got hurt because of it.

I'm just scared Alex is gonna turn out like that too. 

"Because of that exactly Trav, she's been through hell. Why go through it all over again?"

"Maybe it's her way of moving on Dwight."

"How the hell is that moving on?" I ask. 

"She can't learn to trust others again if she doesn't ever let anyone new in. She can't just have us and only us forever."