Chapter 4 | One Day At A Time

~
"There are two types of tired I suppose
one, a dire need for sleep
and the other a dire need for peace"
~

Closing my locker, I turned to Travis who was leaning against the locker next to me, on his phone.

"Are you ready yet?" He asks as I turn to him finally.

"Yeah...uh where did Austin go?" I question. Travis nods to his left without looking up and I glance down the hall and find what looks like Austin finessing another poor girl.

"What happened to Abigail?" I ask Travis as we head towards Austin.

"She's yesterday's news apparently." He says, causing Austin to look at us curiously.

"What's yesterday's news?" He asks.

"Abigail." I tell him. Austin visibly panics, his eyes flickering between us and the girl. I could tell he was trying to send signals to Travis with his eyes but Travis just gives him a smug smirk.

"Who's Abigail?" The girl, Carly I think, asks Austin.

"Uh yesterday's news." Austin states, his face calm.

Travis snorts loudly and bypasses Austin.

"Sure bro." He pats his back in passing and continues walking to Biology.

"Are you coming, Austin?" I ask him, moving to follow Travis.

"In a minute," He tells me, looking back at Carly, who looked anything but impressed.

"I think you should go now." Carly tells him, shooting a glare at him.

"Fine." He shrugs, walking towards me. "I'm going to kill Travis." He mutters under his breath.

"Maybe if you would just stick with one girl, it wouldn't happen." I advise him.

"Yeah yeah, I've heard that one before." He mutters, causing me to laugh and ruffle up his hair.

"We still love you though." I say, offering up a smile.

"Y'all are just lucky I love y'all too. Especially a certain someone!" Austin yells after Travis.

Judging from the way Travis flips off Austin, I don't think he cares too much. Austin and I walk in after Travis settles in his seat and we sit down too.

"Okay guys question," I start, swivelling around in my seat. "What are we going to do for Kara's birthday?" Travis almost does a spit-take with the water he was drinking.

"Shit, thats coming up isn't it."

"Imagine forgetting." Austin quips. In return, Travis kicks Austin's chair and he glares furiously at Travis.

"It's not for another two and a half weeks, but we have to figure out what we're doing so we have time to prepare." I tell them, breaking up their childish fighting.

I wanted to do something special for Kara seeing as I missed her birthday last year, not only hers but everyone's. For a long time I felt guilty about missing all of my friends' birthdays so I'm trying to make up for it this year.

"Well what are we wanting to do?" Travis asks me.

"Party at y'all's place maybe?" I ask, looking at Austin.

"I can probably talk to Chase about it. Are you sure you can do a party?" Austin asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

"It won't be with a ton of people." I point out.

"Still though." 

"If I say I can handle it, I can handle it." I tell them, my voice sharp. They exchange glances, but quickly change the subject.