Arc 2: Chapter 6: Reality

Start from the beginning

"'Contained'? Where is it now?" 

Dumbledore grew to be a tad wary.  This time, he did not push up the glasses that had fallen down the bridge of his nose.

"It has gone missing." he reluctantly admitted. "I have had Argus search every room of the castle and all of its hidden corridors and, unfortunately, it has not appeared. It disappeared the night of the portrait incident."

I felt a slight twinge of pride. I shook it off as quickly as it came. This wasn't something to feel happy about- it was awful! A priceless relic has gone missing and my inner self wishes to smile? 

Dumbledore's light eyes found mine. He clasped his hands together as if he realised something important.

"I recommend you go see Severus and continue your Occlumency training. He said you made favourable progress yesterday." he praised, much as he had done the last term from my development. "And also, take this book with you." He slid the book that had been open on "The Cavity of Calamity" towards me. "You may find it interesting."

"Thank you, sir." I politely took the book, got up from my chair and, like most days, made my descent to the Dungeons.

*****

"Gooooood afternoon, Professor." I jived as I entered Severus's office. Except... he wasn't there. The fireplace was unlit, his desk was almost entirely free of clutter and there was no indication that he had gone to another location other than not here. 

I thought carefully about where he would be. If he wasn't in his office then the only other place would be his storeroom. After all, Severus most certainly was not the type to bask in the spring sun's radiance by his own choice. I made my way there leisurely but as I went through a particular corridor, I felt a tugging in my chest. It was directing me towards a beige blank wall under some upwards stairs. Every step I took closer to the wall, I felt the pulling increase drastically. The moment I got within arm's reach, the feeling was unbearable. It was going to tear me to shreds if I did not proceed. I began to reach my arm out to touch the wall...

Only for Severus to come down the staircase and break me from my trance. Whatever instinct that was guiding me towards the wall vanished. I had to shake my head and blink rapidly to refocus myself in my surroundings. 

"There you are! I was wondering where you went!" I called out as he reached the end of the stairs. 

"I was in my storeroom. More of my ingredients have gone missing," he told as he clutched a small bottle in his hand. "I believe I know exactly who has been poaching my fluxweed."

"Don't tell me you're going to use whatever is in that glass to poison someone." I half-joked half-worried about the unfortunate soul that Severus had in mind.

"It is only Veritaserum."

"What!?" I cried out. "You can't use that on students! It's banned! I hardly enjoyed using it when I was interrogating Death Eaters but these are children!" 

"Yes, it is rather regrettable which is why I won't be using it on a student." He looked at me and gave an interesting smile. "I will be using it on you."

"You're kidding." 

He let out a small laugh. "I am afraid not. It is part of your Occlumency training of which you did not use against me just now."

My mouth dropped. "I wasn't ready." I protested, giving him a mildly irritated look.

"Ruberion will not care if you are ready or not. Come on now, before we lose more time." And with that, he turned and marched on ahead, leaving me behind to comprehend what just happened.